Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shizen
Not applicable
Views: 18,151
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad Yoga - Black Screen

After reading through dreaded black screen issue for other models, I am checking if the Thinkpad Yoga also has the black screen issue. Given that this happened barely inside a month after the warranty expired, if it turns out to be hardware problem this has solid changes to be the last lenovo product in the family.

Issue: I returned one home from work to wake up my sleeping Lenovo. Noticed it seemed to be in a dark screen mode with nothing showing up. So tried to press a few buttons and then finally powered off using the button. Upon restart, I could see the Lenovo sign and option to press Enter to check other options and I ignored like usual happy path scenario and let it go. At the time it usually starts showing the Windows screens, I see nothing happen. A dark screen with all the keyboard lights still working but no screen. Connected to projector to see if the login screen shows but it did NOT. Tried to restart few times, reset using the pinhole at the bottom, ran diagnositcs and tried to refresh system etc using the troubleshoot options, checked the BIOS settings - all of which show up on screen and the LCD test pass like a charm but the Windows boot does not work.

Thinkpad Yoga 15 running on Windows 10 pro. 20DQ machine type.

The frustarting thing is warranty just expired end of July, phone support wont even discuss the issue since it is expired. I spent good amount of days thinking about spending a lot on this laptop last year only to reach a point within one year I might have to spend few more just to save it. Please help!

martiniturbide
Not applicable
Views: 18,087
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Yoga - Black Screen

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you please share the full model number of your Thinkpad Yoga?

If when you boot the device you see the Lenovo logo, and you can access the BIOS and everything shows on the monitor, it sounds to me that it is more a driver issue with Windows instead of a hardware issue.

But you need to find a way to get inside Windows to update the video drivers, like using a second monitor a tv or some way.  Is it always failing or after some reboots (maybe uing the emergency reset hole) can you access Windows desktop?

There was also this error documented on the Thinkpad Yoga 12 with Windows 10 (TH2 build).

https://support.lenovo.com/ec/es/documents/HT116649?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=e...

But also,  you need be able to access the Windows of your computer to install the suggested Windows fix.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

shizen
Not applicable
Views: 18,069
Message 3 of 6

The model number is 20DQ-001LUS.

I have tried connecting it to my projector. Usually it picks it up as soon as i plug in the HDMI cable even at the logon screen, but it did not pick up anything. I have restarted the machine several times, let it drain out battery and start again, use the emergency pin hole but it did not show the screen the single time. Sometimes at the power ON, it shows the lenovo sign but does not go forward at all (remains stuck like that forever). On the occassions it does go forward, there is this issue of black screen. I can hear the fan spinning and the keyboard lights all work but nothing on the screen. It is NOT a black pixeled screen but nothing on screen as it would be when power off. I have also tried several workarounds suggested in this post such as touching the screen etc.

Once it this black mode, I tried pressing the shift key millions times to get that sticky sound to see if am actually in Windows and I did hear that sound. I wanted to try switching off windows 10 using ctrl alt del and keyboard but I need a windows 10 system to check the sequence of keys to make it happen.

I was curious if there was a way to uninstall this driver or safe boot using the keyboard or other means to resolve this

Zdendulak
Not applicable
Views: 18,029
Message 4 of 6

Hi there. Is it possible that the system went through an automatic update to Windows 10 Anniversary Update? If so, I experienced the same issue - it would not boot and only show black screen. For me, the automatic recovery to previous build also failed. These are my possible solutions:

1) I was able to finish the update after following this procedure - https://support.lenovo.com/cz/en/solutions/ht501760

2) If this does not help in this stage (I'm not sure if this setting is necessary before failing the installation), I was able to to recover to a previous build: 

- on a different machine, download Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and create and offline USB installation media

- boot from the media by pressing F12 during startup and on the second screen (I think) during the installation, you can decide not to install the system but recover the system - there is a link on the bottom left corner. This should take you to the recovery screen where you can return to a previous build

Let me know if this is completely irrelevant or it helps.

shizen
Not applicable
Views: 18,008
Message 5 of 6

This brought the screen back!!!! Smiley Very Happy I do see three "update for Microsoft Windows" on 8/30 (KB3176937/34/35). I am not sure if I should uninstall these and get the latest update from 8/31 which per the Microsoft should have resolved this problem and then revert the settings back?

Zdendulak
Not applicable
Views: 17,971
Message 6 of 6

Did the first option work, that is changing settings in BIOS? I am not sure if you need to unistall anything, the good part with my Anniversary update is that I only needed to change the BIOS settings during the installation and then I was able to switch it back to SafeBoot. I suggest you can experiment with that and see if there is any specific problematic update.

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors