Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,203
Message 31 of 91

Re: STILL NOT FIXED!!!

By now I've given up and put the TPY with the screen open and off. Maybe there is some interference from the base that affects the touch screen. It's pretty annoying though, I just want to plop this thing own and plug in, not 'plop down open screen plug in'. Stil very interested in a fix, or a reliable way to get this take care of under warranty. 

Manotee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,186
Message 32 of 91

Joe, I feel your pain!

I have conducted a lot of tests on my ThinkPad Yoga, with and without the OneLink Dock. My conclusions: It is the external monitor support. When the TP Yoga is closed or opened any amount to be in laptop mode, I see cursor drift when the external monitor is in duplicate or second screen only mode. If I leave the monitor on and connected and use the PC screen only, no drift.

As I have mention repeatedly, if I twist the TP Yoga past 180 degrees and get in tablet mode, the drift also goes away.

Based on the forum items, this has been a problem for the life of the TP Yoga. In my negotiations with Lenovo, they have offered to replace my TP Yoga with an TP X250. That they did not offer a TP Yoga 12" 2nd gen suggests the cursor drift continues in the new TP Yoga.

Replacing the TP Yoga does not fix either my dock problem or my ThinkPad Bluetooth Mouse problem. In fact, it makes my dock totally useless as it doesn't connect to an TP X250. As of now, Lenovo is not willing to refund my money for the dock or mouse.

I started out in my quest for a new PC with a high opinion of Lenovo and ThinkPad. This has since been replaced with disgust at the poor quality and support for the TP Yoga. If I worked for Lenovo and was in any way associated with the TP Yoga (design, support, sales), I would be embarrassed to admit it.

As many before me, all I want now is to send my Lenovo equipment back for a refund. My trust in Lenovo has been broken beyond repair.

Jaron_UI
Paper Tape
Views: 1,132
Message 33 of 91

Re: ThinkPad Yoga + OneLink Pro = jumping cursor

I am also experiencing this issue. The system in question is a S1 Yoga i7 model 20DK-S0QE00 (custom built model). The system has had all updates applied from Lenovo System Update and an update for the digitizer installed. The touchpad sensitivity has also been adjusted with no resolution.

I am looking for assistance in troubleshooting this issue further as my customer is frustrated with the Lenovo hardware and may be looking to return the hardware without a timely fix.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you need any further information please let me know.

Best,

Jaron

Manotee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,129
Message 34 of 91

Re: ThinkPad Yoga OneLink Pro = jumping cursor

Jason,

I wish I had better news, but Lenovo just replaced my TP Yoga with an X250.
There doesn't seem to be a complete fix for the jumping (Lenovo calls it
drifting) cursor. My Yoga went to the Depot and then Morrisville Escalation
Support, and the problem was greatly reduced but not eliminated.

>From all my testing, the dock is not the issue, at least not the main
issue. It will happen without the dock, with all external hardware
connected directly to the Yoga. It seems to be related to the external
monitor. I ran with the external monitor only and as a duplicate (with or
without the dock) and had the drifting cursor. With the external monitor
not in use but still connected, no cursor issue.

I don't have a projector, so I couldn't test that, but my guess is using a
projector would result in the same cursor issue.

My external monitor uses a USB connection for touch support. The problem
was unchanged by unplugging the USB cable to eliminate touch issues.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,118
Message 35 of 91

@Mark_Lenovo wrote:

All,

There are a combination of issues / fixes for this.  Please ensure you have the latest BIOS and Synaptics driver from Lenovo installed.  We should have a tip on our support site with additional information on this in the near future.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the firmware update available for the oneline pro dock?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd029981

Mark

Unless I am overlooking something, this is the last we have heard from any official channel. Are there any updates or suggested troubleshooting steps? 

Summary:

- From earlier posts it's clear that this is not dock related, it's linked to running the system with lid closed, possibly in combination with using the graphics adapter to drive an external display.

- Running the system with the screen opened a bit (laptop mode, tablet mode) fixes the issue. Seems like screen components get too close to badly shielded motherboard components, causing interference.

- Applying all BIOS updates, dock firmware updates, windows updates, and System Update patches does not reliably fix the issue. Case in point: my fully patched system.

- It's been suggested that motherboard replacement fixes this. Is this the official fix, and do the techs know about the issue so that we'll actually get the unit back fixed?

- There is a confirmed 'software fix' which involves manually disabling the pen and touch drivers (what are the names of those, and can we make a batch file or script that does this automatically when running an external display?)

Given that there is a software fix, and that people don't need touch or ink with the display closed anyway, I don't understand why there isn't already a driver update that auto disables touch and ink when the screen is closed. Even if there is an actual hardware problem behind this issue (interference shouldn't happen), if there's a simple software workaround, why have us all send our units in for expensive and time consuming hardware repairs? 

Any (semi) official answers would be much appreciated. 

Manotee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,106
Message 36 of 91

I sent my ThinkPad Yoga and OneLink Basic Dock to Morrisville for the Escalation Team to work on from June 1 through June 4. The dock firmware was updated and the Yoga was thoroughly updated. When it came back the cursor issue was greatly reduced, but not eliminated. The dock had new problems handling my external monitor. The external monitor would go dark at almost any time and take as while to come active again.

Connecting the HDMI cable directly to the Yoga fixed the monitor issues.

As I reported in the past, twisting the Yoga into tablet configuration eliminated the cursor issue.

Subsequent testing, with and without the dock, with the ThinkPad open to laptop mode and using it as a laptop revealed as long as my external monitor was in use I had the cursor issue. If I ran the external monitor in duplicate mode or external monitor only, the cursor would occasionally jump. Disabling the touch feature of the external monitor did not affect the cursor issue. Leaving the monitor connected, but not activated, the cursor issue did not occur. Not having a projector, I couldn't test using the Yoga as a laptop with a projector in use, but I wouldn't bet against the cursor issue happening.

Disabling the keyboard, TrackPoint and TrackPad when the Yoga lid is closed would help those working in desktop mode. But the cursor issue could possibly be encountered while doing a presentation with a large external monitor screen, or possibly with a projector, connected to a Yoga in laptop mode.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,092
Message 37 of 91

Manotee wrote:  (excerpted)

When it came back the cursor issue was greatly reduced, but not eliminated. 
As I reported in the past, twisting the Yoga into tablet configuration eliminated the cursor issue.
Subsequent testing, with and without the dock, with the ThinkPad open to laptop mode and using it as a laptop revealed as long as my external monitor was in use I had the cursor issue.

So: the issue was not fixed after sending it in. This is what I'm afraid of. Taking the time to get it fixed, and getting the thing back with the same problem. About your workaround of going to tablet mode, I have not seen the issue once I open the lid (and this includes going to tablet mode). That's obviously not a great 'fix'. I'm confused by your last statement. I have never seen the issue with the TPY screen open, have you?

And finally, I never expected that the external screen touch panel affected things. It looks like disabling the touch and ink drivers on the TPY fixes the issue. Again, it looks like a simple and logical software fix is available: have the TPY disable touch and ink drivers when the lid is closed. I would very much like a comment from Mark_Lenovo or anyone else on the status. 

My previous Lenovo convertible (X220t) also had a jumping cursor problem. Maybe it's time to hire a couple new electronics experts? Smiley Mad

Manotee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,083
Message 38 of 91

I did a lot of testing with my TP Yoga after it returned from the last ditch effort to fix it. I wanted to understand the problem.

I did experience the jumping cursor with the TP Yoga in use in laptop mode, but only if the external monitor was active. Using only the TP Yoga screen, I never saw the cursor problem. But, if the external monitor was in use (duplicate or second screen only), I would experience the cursor issue. Even if I left the external monitor powered on and connected, I would not experience the cursor issue if the monitor was not in use (PC screen only).

As the cursor issue was greatly reduced, testing was a little more difficult. I would usually place my TP Yoga in "show the desktop" mode and leave it unattended overnight with my external mouse powered off. I would wake up my TP Yoga with the <cntl> key and check the cursor location. Frequently, I would find it at either the lower or upper right corner. I was using the dock, but only for the extra USB ports and Ethernet port. My monitor HDMI cable was connected to the TP Yoga due to other dock issues.

Changing the TP Yoga to disable the keyboard, TrackPoint and TrackPad with the lid closed would fix the cursor issue for most customers (like me). But "road warriors" using the TP Yoga at customer sites with an external monitor (or possibly a projector) might experience the jumping cursor, probably at the most inopportune time.

My TP Yoga is factory reset and boxed up ready to ship to Lenovo. They provided my an X250 as a replacement.

The TP Yoga is a great idea, and I will miss mine. The X250 power button is on the keyboard and using a USB dock I have to open the lid to power on the PC. I can't tuck it away out of sight as I did my TP Yoga. Other than that, it doesn't have any problems. It is kind of boring. No more upside down screen views, misplaced task bars, unexpected closed windows, etc.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,079
Message 39 of 91

@Manotee wrote:

I did a lot of testing with my TP Yoga after it returned from the last ditch effort to fix it. I wanted to understand the problem.

Thanks for all that. I wonder if the degree of cross-talk / interference is different for different machines. I haven't seen it happen with my TPYoga when the screen is open, so it looks like mine is a little more resilient. Congrats on the X250. More boring yes, but so much more battery life. And so much lighter! 

And repeating myself here, it would be great if a Lenovo rep could given an update here. 

Manotee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,068
Message 40 of 91

Judging from what I have read, I agree that not all ThinkPad Yogas might have the same problem. There may be several contributing factors. After the initial repair at the Depot, my cursor jumping decreased. After the trip to Morrisville the problem was immensely better, but not eliminated. It might not jump in a day, or may jump a couple of times in an hour.

I tried the suggested remidies. Aluminum foil or leaving the screen open, neither helped me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors