Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,161
Message 61 of 91

Re: ThinkPad Yoga + OneLink Pro = jumping cursor

@dquattlebumcps wrote:

The issue is definitely better, but it still will randomly click on something which changes the active window... 

Since receiving it it's done it twice...  So not sure if it's driver or hardware now... 

There may be different causes at play, but in my case it's 99.9% certain that it's hardware. I have had exactly ZERO stray pen taps ever since I have started running my TPY with the screen open (but off) while using OneLink. When I keep the screen closed, I invariably get stray pen taps.

My theory is that on my system either a motherboard component close to the top right of the system (near the miniHDMI port - which is not in use when this happens) is too 'loud' electromagnetically speaking, the Wacom digitizer or digitizer circuitry is too sensitive or badly shielded,  or a combination of these at the same time. 

When the screen is open, the distance between motherboard and digitizer is larger, so the interference drops, reducing the effect, and for originally 'reasonably shielded' systems it would eliminate the problem entirely. Supporting evidence: one user keeps aluminum foil between screen and keyboard, and it eliminated the problem. 

I'm hoping the engineers can measure EM interference and verify if that could indeed be the problem. If they do that, they can run a measurement on each returned system and replace the offending component. 

JimWAndrews
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,062
Message 62 of 91

For the record, I have been having the same problems.  I had thought it was a software problem but now that I have found and read through this post it's rather looking like a hardware issue.

My Yoga shows the typical symptoms -  occasional random mouse activity, most often doing a giddy dance around the bottom right corner of the screen, but occasionally closing windows, randomly jumping between them, and on a few occasions deleting files and folders (thank heavens for Carbonite!).

This only happens with the OneLink Dock attached.  I am using a Logitech Wireless mouse, and the problem arises whether I plug into the USB ports on the laptop or the OneLink dock (but less so in a USB 2.0 port on a hub attached to the OneLink dock).

I will try the "solution" of leaving the lid up and will report my findings.

All in all it's a pretty poor show from Lenovo.  Over £1,000 of hardware with an erratic mouse.  My wife's £300 Asus is more reliable in this department.  I have used Lenovos for years and years, this experience is really challenging my loyalty.

Jim

Manotee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,055
Message 63 of 91

Jim - You have my sympathy. The Yoga is a lovely but flawed design. Lenovo replaced my unfixable Yoga with a X250.

You may have read my previous posts. The problem for me only occurred when using an external monitor, One-Link Dock or not.

I could eliminate the jumping cursor by twisting the Yoga into full tablet mode, using the One-Link dock and USB. HDMI and Blue-tooth connected devices. No cursor problem. Left the Yoga vulerable to spills and damage.

For me, this pretty much eliminated the digitizer as a problem, as the digitizer would be alive and well when the Yoga is in tablet mode.

For what is is worth, I have heard the Dell Inspiron may share this issue. A Dell owner heard me talking about my jumping cursor issue, and said he had it too.

JimWAndrews
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,031
Message 64 of 91

Thanks for the sympathy!

A quick update - I have found that the simple fix of leaving the lid up works perfectly.  No more wandering cursor and "ghost" mouse clicks.

I can't help but think that there should be a simple software fix to this.  Clearly something to do with the OneLink / power port is interacting with the touchscreen / digitiser when the lid is down.

But....since you can't use the touchscreen / digitiser when the lid is down (duh!) , why not simply have the laptop disable these as well as the screen when the lid is shut.

How difficult can it be?

Come on Lenovo, we shouldn't be having to fix problems with expensive hardware with work-arounds like this.

Oh, and I must say a BIG THANK YOU to the various contributors to this thread who have pointed me in the direction of this solution.

All the best

Jim

i1
What's DOS?
Views: 933
Message 65 of 91

I have seen this with clients, we have been replacing laptops to remedy this. It's been brought to our attention that this may be an issue with the stowed stylus.We are currently testing this theory but there are no results yet.

Might be worth trying to remove the stylus to see if this fixes the problem. If it does, post your results here as it's one thing I havent seen tested.

MYX-TPY12
Paper Tape
Views: 780
Message 66 of 91

Another disappointed Lenovo customer chiming in with the same jumping cursor while docked problem.

Had been a long time (very long time!) dedicated Tohiba customer, but decided the Yoga 12 with digitizer was enough to sway me away. I wish there was a church where I could go to confess my sin.

Anyway, my Yoga 12 is docked atop my desk with the screen standing at attention, as dorky looking as a pre-teen with an erection, but the cursor hasn't jumped, so dorky looking or not, I'm relieved. (Disappointed, but relieved.)

Oh well, Toshiba will come out with an ultrabook that has a digitizer eventually, I just gotta be more patient next time.

Mike

Manotee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 775
Message 67 of 91

If you want to fold the screen down, I found by folding my Yoga into tablet configuration, the cursor wouldn't jump and the Yoga was "flat". I generally placed it screen down, perhaps on a mat to protect the screen. Screen up would make it vulnerable.

My Yoga has long ago been replaced, along with the One-Link Dock. But I remain an interested party to this conversation. I am amazed and disappointed that Lenovo has been unable to correct this issue in the old Yoga. I am not aware if the problem has been resolved in the 2nd gen.

From all the things I have read in this conversation, not all Yogas have the issue, and the issue presents itself in several ways, so there is no one simple fix that makes the Yoga more usable.

I hope for your sake, and all the other customers with this issue, Lenovo discovers the cause and creates a fix.

kreide
SCSI Port
Views: 627
Message 68 of 91

Is there any statement of Lenovo regarding this issue? It is been posted in 2014, ignoring it that long would be a ridiculous move.

dquattlebumcps
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 626
Message 69 of 91

You're not going to hear anything from them.  My organization has decided to halt deployment of these pieces of junk and deploy the new Dell XPS 13.  I've been using one for a month now and have had no issues...

I used to use IBM ThinkPad's back in the day and LOVED them, since they're Lenovo now, they're just crap. 

So long Lenovo!

kreide
SCSI Port
Views: 620
Message 70 of 91

Since my warranty ends 2017, I might also try to return both, Yoga and OneLink Pro back to Lenovo 3 times in order to receive my money back. I did also notice Dells XPS 13 with preinstalled Linux. As I am not in need for a touchscreen anymore, I would definitely go for that one.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors