Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasMich
Paper Tape
Views: 588
Message 1 of 14

ThinkPad Yoga S1 M.2 SSD not recognized

Hello community,

I have a problem with my ThinkPad Yoga S1: My new Teclast M.2 128GB SSD doesn't work.

I removed my previous SATA SSD and inserted the new one but when starting the Computer, it's showing the boot screen for a very long while (about 30s) but won't find any bootable device (There's a bootable Linux 5.1 on the SSD).

When booting GParted or any other live USB, it doesn't find any internal drive.

I tried the SSD on another computer. There it was found and it could boot without any problems.

I'am using UEFI-only booting. If I see it correctly, there's no options in BIOS settings tho switch on/off the M.2 port, is there?

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

JasMich

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 553
Message 2 of 14

Re: ThinkPad Yoga S1 M.2 SSD not recognized

Hi!

Welcome to the Community,

Just to clarify, you remove the SATA 2.5 SSD on your laptop, and installed M.2 SSD instead, Is that correct? Or you upgraded the M.2 that is prebuilt on your laptop? If it's an upgraded one, try to put the original M.2 SSD back and check if it will work. Also, access BIOS and check if the SSD is detected in Boot Priority Order under Boot in Startup Tab,

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500222

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

JasMich
Paper Tape
Views: 547
Message 3 of 14

The M.2 SSD is new. Before, I only had a SATA SSD which I removed now. In the boot order, my new SSD is not shown. It's showing hdd0 and hdd1 empty.

As I do not own any other M.2 SSD, I con not try another one.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 542
Message 4 of 14

I see. The M.2 SSD that you purchase for upgrade, Is that a SATA or PCIe NVMe? An M.2 SATA port has 2 Pin, while PCIe NVMe has one pin. You can check the attached photo that shows what a SATA (bottom picture) and NVMe (Top Picture) M.2 SSD connector looks like, as it will be based on the connector on the laptop.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

JasMich
Paper Tape
Views: 541
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for your quick help.

It seems to be a SATA M.2.

Regards,

JasMich

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 532
Message 6 of 14

Hi JasMich.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you take a photo of the 128GB SSD that you're trying to use so we can take a closer look?

We'll wait for your response.

JasMich
Paper Tape
Views: 529
Message 7 of 14

Here you are...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 523
Message 8 of 14

Thanks for sending a photo. Could you try to check if the M.2 SATA was properly placed? You may use the Hardware Maintenance Manual (page 67) to see some instructions. https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/s1_yoga_hmm_en_sp40a26742_01.pdf

We'll wait for any updates.

JasMich
Paper Tape
Views: 518
Message 9 of 14

Yes, according to the manual, it's correctly assembled.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 513
Message 10 of 14

Alright. We'd like to further isolate the issue, any chance you could try to use the 128GB M.2 SATA to another laptop? We would like to check if it's really working. 

Keep us posted. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors