Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fefrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 657
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad Yoga S1 - No sound via HDMI on Windows 10

Since I've installed Windows 10 on my ThinkPad Yoga S1 (20C0-S0AX00), I've never been able to get audio via HDMI working. In theory, it looks like it's all fine:

Sound.PNG

In practice, however, no audio is transmitted via HDMI (I tried it with different monitors), and the video signal of any application trying to play audio over HDMI is stuttering – as if it's trying to sync audio and video, but failing for some reason. As soon as the output device is changed, the video plays smoothly again.

Changing the "Default Format" did not change anything. Currently, "16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD quality)" is selected.

A support ticket I opened quickly after upgrading to Windows 10 promised a driver update to fix this. A more recent ticket advised me to revert to the stock Windows 8.1 installation instead, which I refuse to do.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this issue?

Guru
Views: 636
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Yoga S1 - No sound via HDMI on Windows 10

Hi

I have a different Thinkpad Yoga. Checking your issue I wonder if you would like to do some "trial and error" like:

1) Try a different HDMI cable, you never know.

2) Check the driver version of you Intel Display Audio. Here it is mine:

2016-03-26 11_04_56-New notification.png

3) Just in case check the Lenovo Support site for your model and try updating the Intel Video and Realtek drivers just in case.

This is only that cames to my mind right now.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

fefrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 620
Message 3 of 6

1. Good idea! I'd say that a digital connection could never cause these kind of issues, but since I've seen a HDMI cable produce stuck green pixels, I sincerely distrust them...
    I only have one Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable right now, so I ordered an adapter and will report back when it arrives!
  2. I have a slightly never driver version (and I've installed a driver update since installing Windows 10), so I think there's nothing to do here:
    DisplayAudioDriver.png
  3. I've already installed the most up-to-date Intel Video drivers available there.
    My soundcard is from Conexant, but I'm not currently running their drivers as they tend to BSOD when entering standby, so I'm using Microsoft's drivers instead. I've already had the HDMI audio issue running a previous version of the Conexant drivers, though.

While looking for driver updates, I realized that Lenovo removed "Windows 10" from their OS picker.

fefrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 595
Message 4 of 6

Testing with a different, trusted HDMI cable and a fresh adapter yielded the same (stuttering / no audio) result.

Guru
Views: 590
Message 5 of 6

Hi

I'm running out of ideas..

1) You already tried several monitors, maybe you can try some TV (maybe you already tried a TV with it).

2) I also would try to remove the Intel Display Audio driver with the Windows Device Manager, by doing a right click, uninstall and selecting the "remove driver" option. And try reinstalling the driver again on the next reboot.

3) Maybe a more extreme test to test if it is a hardware problem will be to boot some other OS like Linux from the USB. But I'm not sure if you want to try that.

uhm... I'm not sure what else.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

fefrei
Fanfold Paper
Views: 582
Message 6 of 6

Hi!

Thanks for your ideas!

1. I already tried a TV – no luck.
  2. Reinstalling the display audio driver did not change anything.
  3. That was interesting! I booted Ubuntu from a USB disk. It did detect a gazillion sound outputs (even my USB sound interface plugged into the dock), including one that appeared to be the right one (at least it had "HDMI" in the name). I could not get this device to work. Also, the settings interface was confused by the device: Normally, the interface (sample screenshot) shows additional information and settings on the right after selecting the device on the left. Here, selecting the HDMI out did not update the right half of the window, leaving it pointing to the previously selected device. That makes my think that some request sent to the device driver gets stuck.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors