Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sspiff
Paper Tape
Views: 11,031
Message 1 of 23

ThinkPad Yoga screen foil?

Hi,

I just received my Yoga and it looks and feels great. However, there seems to be some sort of foil over the screen, that doesn't quite cover the screen edge to edge. It stops around maybe 0.5mm from the end of the glass panel.

It also appears to give the display some sorty of milky grey collor when turned off. I was wondering if this is part of the digitizer, a protective or anti-glare foil, or something else entirely? I first thought it was the kind of screen protector you see on phones when you first buy them, but there's no latch to take it of, and it seems to be glued to the display rather well.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Current ThinkPad: S1 Yoga
Former ThinkPads: T21, X30, SL300, T60p
Jasonthinkpad
Paper Tape
Views: 10,883
Message 2 of 23

Re: ThinkPad Yoga screen foil?

it is a layer of pre-applied screen protector. It's for anti-glare and protective purpose. It's possible to remove it but requires patience and effort as its strongly glued to the screen during production. From what I understood any fault related with the removal of the screen protector is not covered by the warranty. 

lbrentg
Paper Tape
Views: 10,715
Message 3 of 23

My TPY just arrived. Love it minus the screen protector. It appears to drastically reduce the sharpness of the screen - did you have any luck taking this off?

ShertheLove
Punch Card
Views: 10,703
Message 4 of 23

I used a double edge razor to lift a corner, then used a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive. The adhesive is pretty strong. I used the blow dryer on medium and moved back and forth on an area for about 5-10 seconds. I was able to pull up about an inch across before having to reapply heat. You also need to make sure you push down in front of where you're pulling up or the screen will want to lift up. Just be patient with it. I'm much happier with the screen now. 

lbrentg
Paper Tape
Views: 10,690
Message 5 of 23

ShertheLove, thanks for the reply. Too much drama for me though. 

ShertheLove
Punch Card
Views: 10,684
Message 6 of 23

Haha. I said the same thing when I first got mine. Three weeks later, I changed my mind. I was a bit hesitant at first, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Some have reported being able to lift a corner with their finger nail and just carefully peeled it off without any special methods.

jjscc
Punch Card
Views: 10,658
Message 7 of 23

I dont recomend that to anyone. Seriously the screen protector its there for a reason. If you use the pen over the screen without the protector you will risk scratching it. Not ony that but the protector makes your finger slide better and that improves the touch esperience. Finally I like to know that I have something protecting the screen and that if it gets messed up I can later try to remove it if necessary and glue a apply a new one

Just my 2 cents.

ShertheLove
Punch Card
Views: 10,642
Message 8 of 23

You've never owned a product without a screen protector? I've had multiple phones and tablets without protectors and never had any scratches. I also prefer the feeling and look without the matte protector on there.
lbrentg
Paper Tape
Views: 10,627
Message 9 of 23

Actually the opposite, this is the first device with a protector and the look is really bugging me.

Its not sharp, it a bit blurry. Also, Im not buying that the stylus will scratch up the Gorilla Glass.

Alas, it is going to stay, for now, Im too much of a chicken to attempt removal.

jjscc
Punch Card
Views: 10,597
Message 10 of 23

I have several smartphones with gorilla glass and I can asure you that you will get sratches on the device with or without a stylus. Unless of course you dont use it much.

Most of my devices dont have a protector. Its a risk I'm willing to take sometimes. For example I had a Nokia Lumia 920 that I never put a protector on it. Also a 925. Both got some scratches on the glass so I decided that with 1020 I would get a screen protector. I'm glad I did because the phone already fell twice and I dont have a dent on it.

I would ercomend to add some level of protection fo your devices specially if you have young kids at home as I do. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors