Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShertheLove
Punch Card
Views: 3,728
Message 11 of 23

Re: ThinkPad Yoga screen foil?

Nope.... Used a Galaxy note 10.1 for and entire semester taking notes with the stylus and and Ativ 500T for 2 semesters to take notes on. Both no screen protector, both not a single scratch on the screen, not even a light one. I've also used and Evo 4G and Nexus 4 without protectors and again, not the lightest scratch.

If it's something you don't feel comfortable doing or get scratches frequently on your devices, then don't remove it. If you're someone who, for whatever reason, gets scratches, then don't remove it.
ced777
What's DOS?
Views: 3,504
Message 12 of 23

Hello, When you succeed to take off the foil, how is the screen? Still matte screen, or glossy screen? No stick /. glue mark after removing? I like the Thinkpad lenovo cause he have a matte screen (will prefer the Yoga 2 or Yoga 3, with his 13.3" screen, but want really a matte screen, not glossy)
TP1
What's DOS?
Views: 3,148
Message 13 of 23

I am actually wondering, is TPY got a gorilla glass on its display? If it is, I would remove screen protector.

tastro
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,883
Message 14 of 23

Is the matte foil the top foil on the screen or is there another foil above it? I also were comparing quite some higher-end laptops matte against glossy and i must say that really all of the glossy ones have nicer colors.

dragoljub
Paper Tape
Views: 2,797
Message 15 of 23

Thanks for the inspiration! I too was very unhappy with  the ugly matte screen cover and how fingerprints were very difficult to clean off of it. The screen was also not very bright with the protector. I had to get rid of it.

I started pealing at the bottom left corner with a double edged razor blade too. After pealing the screen protector film off I am simply amazed at how much better the screen looks. Sure there is more glare but to me this looks so much better than the matte look.

Pealing was somewhat tough so I took it slow. I used a microfiber cloth to press firmly on the glass as I pealed away. I pealed at 30-degrees from the screen, not directly up. I finished up by wiping the screen with iKlear and it feels perfectly smooth with no residue.

Here is what the process looked like. Hope this helps anyone with a TPY12 who does not want to look through a thick matte screen protector. Check out how thick that protector is in the last picture. Smiley Frustrated

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Mod comment: Over sized pictures converted to links. Please see About-Posting-Pictures-In-The-Forums

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 2,783
Message 16 of 23

@dragoljub wrote:

Thanks for the inspiration! I too was very unhappy with  the ugly matte screen cover and how fingerprints were very difficult to clean off of it. The screen was also not very bright with the protector. I had to get rid of it.

I started pealing at the bottom left corner with a double edged razor blade too. After pealing the screen protector film off I am simply amazed at how much better the screen looks. Sure there is more glare but to me this looks so much better than the matte look.

Pealing was somewhat tough so I took it slow. I used a microfiber cloth to press firmly on the glass as I pealed away. I pealed at 30-degrees from the screen, not directly up. I finished up by wiping the screen with iKlear and it feels perfectly smooth with no residue.

Here is what the process looked like. Hope this helps anyone with a TPY12 who does not want to look through

Thanks for taking the time to post these pics. How does inking feel on the glass? Sticky, or similar to the feel with the protector?

dragoljub
Paper Tape
Views: 2,776
Message 17 of 23

It feels very smooth and silky. I would like to try pen input with a better and larger pen. I think the included pen is a bit too short and skinny to accurately draw or write. I dont use the pen too much but from what I can tell the accuracy and responsivness is not any different then with the screen protector on.

gusat
HDMI
Views: 2,750
Message 18 of 23

@dragoljub: Thanks for your pics, esp. the last 3 are useful!

We see there a rather thick matted foil of TBD optical quality... hopefully not the cheapest plastic foils so abundant on Alibaba. Behind it seems to be a regular glossy screen, or most likely, the wacom digitizer overlay - also responsible for the HUGE black bezels that kill ca. 30% of the S1 screen :-(.

Net: Without the matted foil one could expect a sharper screen with more contrast and vivid colors. The price is likely in strong mirroring, less pen friction and some exposure to scratching.

Personally i prefer a slight gaussian blur and some milkiness (despite the smear), yet i also enjoy e.g., Mac's sharp and tall Retina displays (which i don't own). I guess i'm open both ways... (but i still want bezel-less 3:2 laptop screens like Surface, Apple and most tablets)
ferzag
What's DOS?
Views: 2,422
Message 19 of 23

Thank you very much! I was wondering how the screen would like with out that horrible foil, now I know it and I'm going to remove it right now!

Smiley Very Happy

Spriggan43
Paper Tape
Views: 1,921
Message 20 of 23

What’s the deal with this, can we have an update.

How has this worked out?

Any scratches or marks in the screen since removing the film?

Does the pen now just slide all over the place?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors