Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ziebra
Punch Card
Views: 3,305
Message 11 of 17

Re: ThinkPad yoga 14 and ThinkPad pen pro

Looking at the pdf it seems like anything starting with 20dm008 should have an active pen compability.
By the way:
Carefull, the information in Search by Machine Type Model might be misleading! For instance, my machine model is:20DM003SSP. Entering this information into the field yields this page: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

For some odd reason on the accesories tab a digitizer pen is listed as a possibility while the machine cannot support it
( Lenovo please fix this? )

To recap, always check pdf first, then search for the pen serial number.

Rob_Oppen
What's DOS?
Views: 3,153
Message 12 of 17

Another way to know if your system is pen capable, is to go to the

Start button then Settings > System > About.

There you should see an entry entitled "Pen and touch".

If that entry says "Pen and full Windows touch support with 10 touch points"
then you have a pen capable computer.

If it only says "Full Windows touch support with 10 touch points"
then you do NOT have the needed pen hardware built into your display.

FYI, my Best Buy ThinkPad Yoga 14 is the 20FY (20FY0002US) model and it has pen ability. (This model has the 256MB SSD and the 6th generation i5-6200U processor, and it is not listed in the psref481.pdf).

As I said, it does have the pen ability built in. In fact, it comes with a pen. I almost missed it. It comes packed into its own compartment (on the left side of the base unit - near the front left corner). It has a small red line on it. Just pull it out.

I discovered this pen only by reading the manual (page 20).(sigh).

To see the user manual, run the Lenovo Companion app.
You may have to hit the menu icon (aka the hamburger icon) at the top left.
Then Under Support is the User Guide.

FYI, Best Buy heavily promotes the Lenovo Yoga 700 - which is NOT the ThinkPad Yoga. The 700 does not have pen ability.

Berd
Paper Tape
Views: 3,137
Message 13 of 17

I just got my ThinkPad Yoga 14 (20DM008uus). I also have ThinkPad Yoga Digitizer Pen (4X80F22110)
Looks like it doesn't work together.

Do I have any chance to make it works or it totally incompatible?

Thanks

Guru
Views: 3,101
Message 14 of 17

Hi

I have the same Thinkpad Yoga 14 (Model 20DM008UUS) but it works for me with the ThinkPad Pen Pro - Part number: 4X80H34887.

I haven't tried the ThinkPad Yoga Digitizer Pen.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

ChipLG
What's DOS?
Views: 3,064
Message 15 of 17

@Rob_Oppen wrote:

FYI, my Best Buy ThinkPad Yoga 14 is the 20FY (20FY0002US) model and it has pen ability. (This model has the 256MB SSD and the 6th generation i5-6200U processor, and it is not listed in the psref481.pdf).

As I said, it does have the pen ability built in. In fact, it comes with a pen. I almost missed it. It comes packed into its own compartment (on the left side of the base unit - near the front left corner). It has a small red line on it. Just pull it out.

I discovered this pen only by reading the manual (page 20).(sigh).

Awesome! Thanks.  I'm ordering this model now. 

It is a real shame that neither Lenovo or Best Buy know how to market their own products.  Some items obviously have pen support, but some are not as obvious.  It makes it hard to compare and decide.  It has taken me days to figure out which device I want, and it should have taken me minutes.  Those of us that really need a pen will not settle for anything that does not have one.  You'd think that pen input would be prominently displayed on the product page, product name/description, and in the primary picture of the device. 

Ah well.  I'm really happy to have finally found what I was looking for. I've gone from being frustrated to being excited.  Thanks to Rob_Oppen, and I'm glad this forum is here to fill in the gaps of information.

Rob_Oppen
What's DOS?
Views: 3,054
Message 16 of 17

Glad to have been helpful.

Be sure you get the exact right model. They sell (generally in clearance) some older ThinkPad Yogas. I am not sure what their pen ability is. But the THINKPAD YOGA 14 - 20FY0002US definately does have a pen.

Actually, taking a look back at the Best Buy web site, I see that it does list the pen on their overview page under  "What's Included" and they include the pen in one of the pictures. They do not feature it, but it is there.

Here is their web page for this model:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-mem...

I have had mine only for a few days but so far I like it a lot.

I have not used the pen much, but I am glad to have one and nice that it has a fully enclosed compartment.

I have experienced at least one error from the display driver - the screen went blank and then recovered. Very concerning. This has a NVIDIA GeForce 940M display card but it falls back to using the Intel integrated display under some conditions to conserve battery. It seems to be the Intel driver (or hardware) that has the error. I also had the Yoga 700 (not a ThinkPad) and it had a similar problem but it happened a lot more often. Usually when I was using the FireFox browser.

I got this primarily for the keyboard quality and dedicated Home/End Page UP/Down keys and more rugged construction than the non-thinkpad models.

I also like having discrete 'mouse' buttons in addition to the ones built into the track pad. I often accidentally move the pointer when I am trying to click a track pad. Now I can avoid that problem all together.

ChipLG
What's DOS?
Views: 3,049
Message 17 of 17

I found a local store that had 20FY0002US in stock.  So, I went and looked at the display model.  Tested the pen in OneNote, and it works well.  It is an active pen which charges in the pen slot.  It is also thin.  I will probably get the thicker Thinkpad Pen Pro from Lenovo later, but this will work for now.

It is my understanding that this is an active Wacom pen (vs the passive Wacom pens usually seen).  I can say from the brief demo in the store, that it is better than the active N-Trig I had on the original Thinkpad Tablet (the Android tablet not the current Windows Thinkpad Tablet).  I've always loved Wacom pens.  I look forward to seeing how well it performs.

Hopefully, I'll have time to test it out tonight.  For now, it is waiting for me to take it home and unbox it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors