Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wirrbeltier
Paper Tape
Views: 568
Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad 460 - battery dead?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to report a problem I've been having with my Thinkpad Yoga 460 (core i5 6200U, 8 GB RAM - 20EMCTO1WW).

After only 3 days of light use and a BIOS update to v1.40, I found that the laptop would only start when connected to the charger. In Windows 10, the battery gauge would show "99%, not charging" permanently. Importantly, the system does not seem to recognize that the charger is connected and thinks it is on battery. If I pull the charger, the laptop dies instantly. Also when I plug it back in, the charge indicator light flashes orange a couple of times for ca. half a second and then stays off, even when the laptop is on.

First I suspected a software fault, and tried a lot of different permutations of uninstalling, re-installing and disabling the battery driver in the system manager, as well as the different Lenovo-branded system programs. The Lenovo Solutions app does always seem to display the same information about the battery, importantly with the charge cycle counter unchanged. None of it seemed to help.

Growing desperate, I tried a different power supply (no difference). I also unscrewed the back plate and unhooked the battery cable. While then the system did not recognize the battery anymore, everything was back to the old, unrecognized state after it was hooked back in. I tried resetting the battery as recommended in this thread, but to no avail. I tried to downgrade to the BIOS version 1.18 (the one the laptop had been delivered with), but it turned out that even when booting from a BIOS-update USB stick, the system would think it was on battery and thus refuse to upgrade the BIOS.

I think that either the charging circuitry or the battery itself have some issues. I suspect a hardware/firmware fault now, since neither resetting the BIOS, nor Windows, nor live-booting Linux seem to help. All report that the laptop is running on battery with 99% charge, but do not recognize that the charger is connected.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problems? Other battery-related issues are discussed here and here, but those might well be different faults. 

Any help is appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 527
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad 460 - battery dead?

I don't recommend taking apart a new laptop that is under warranty.  You need to call support or return it

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors