Did you mean: 
Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 851
Message 1 of 13

Thinkpad Edge S430 questions/problems

Hi

For about 3 week
I have been using and enjoying my new Edge S430.

But I have some problems, questions:

1) I found out that i have a SSD caching disk, but it wasn't specified in the specs from the company where I bought it, no can I find much about it on the official Lenovo site. That's more of a pleasant surprise but looking in taskmanager I see that the disk isnt used at all! Anyone know what to do about it?

2)When starting taskmanager it sometimes takes up to 3 min(!) to start it and display info...

3)Sometimes when plugged in and sometimes when not, the S430 wont go to sleep (i did check the settings, all is normal).

4)When waking the realtech headphone driver isn't enabled and plugging in the headphones wont make the speakers go mute.

5)How do I disable the screen (make it go black?)

I would be grateful if some of my issues are fixed/explained.

Many thanks!

ozzi789
SCSI Port
Views: 815
Message 2 of 13

Re: Thinkpad Edge S430 questions/problems

are you using the preinstalled windows 7 / 8 ? 1.) i don't know windows 8, but can you see the free space of a disk in the taskmanager? anyways here is how to check if the cache is active - open start menu - search for "cmd" - rightclick run as admin - enter "eccmd -info" post results 2.) that is very weird, never heard of that 5.) maybe there is a hotkey for the S430, elsewhise you can rightclick the power manager applet (if installed) -> turn screen off immediately. otherwise there are alternative programms that can do this for you hope i could help
If i was able to help - feel free to give Kudos Smiley Happy
Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 804
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the answer!

1) I found a solution as documented here

2) Yes, I can't find anything about it online...

5) There is no hotkey, I will search for a program!

I haven't found anything for the other problems.

ozzi789
SCSI Port
Views: 797
Message 4 of 13

Tell me if expresscache worked for you, i know it very good since i had / am having quite some trouble with it... This tool will allow you to switch your monitor off, download from here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html create a shortcut of the exe and add following parameters to it (rightclick -> attributes) "monitor off" about the slow taskmanager, how many tasks are running? are you using windows 7 / 8? also you should clean up the autostart (windows key + r -> msconfig -> autostart -> disable things you don't need to open automatically)
Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 793
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the tool! I'm have Windows 8 pre installed, the SSD seems to be working (eccmd.exe -info shows good statistics) but I have yet to find anything that really was sped up...

ozzi789
SCSI Port
Views: 781
Message 6 of 13

it actually worsens boot time for me .. (+5 seconds). now i installed newest version but had to contact support for a serial key, im still waiting for me. long story short- the software sucks
Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 771
Message 7 of 13

It doesn't really seem to be making things worse but I have yet to see is things get better... But it does take time to 'populate' the SSD so maybe things will get better...

ozzi789
SCSI Port
Views: 764
Message 8 of 13

please keep me updated, im geniously interested since its not doing anything for me ( also the cache seems to reset after every boot, sandisk support didn't have a clue (they were really good/fast elsewhise, not like lenovo...))

Devenda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 740
Message 9 of 13

Anybody have any idea about my other problems?

Plus I have noticed that sometimes i loose my wifi connection. And sometimes the signal icon go's to 1 bar instead of 5 bars.
ozzi789
SCSI Port
Views: 736
Message 10 of 13

Update your drivers & realtek software.

about the wlan, does this happen on diffrent wireless networks or just one? if its only one it might be your AP

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors