cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supportneeded
What's DOS?
Views: 1,445
Message 1 of 7

[Thinkpad S1 Yoga] Fn key not working (also Backlit Keyboard and FnLk toggles not working)

I have the Thinkpad S1 Yoga with Windows 8.1 64-bit and have constantly been installing all updates. Currently my Fn key is not working. It doesn't matter whether I set the Fn and function keys to default as the F1-F12 buttons or the special functions, I cannot use the Fn key to toggle to the other option. I also can't use the Fn key in combination with the space bar to turn on the backlit keyboard. When I press the Esc + Fn button, nothing happens so the FnLk also doesn't work.

My laptop is out of warranty too. Is there a known update that causes this problem?

I installed the Hotkeys Features Integration for Windows 8.1 but it didn't help resolve the problem.

Really hoping someone here could help me.

Thanks in advance,.

Guru
Views: 1,437
Message 2 of 7

Re: [Thinkpad S1 Yoga] Fn key not working (also Backlit Keyboard and FnLk toggles not working)

Hi

Welcome to the forums. Can you please specify the full model number of you Thinkpad?

Before saying it is somekind of hardware problem. Can you check if by any chance do you have the Fn - Ctrl switch enabled? Maybe to togled the Fn and Ctrl buttons, there are some Thinkpad models that allows you to do that. .. just in case check if Ctrl+Spacebar turns on your keyboard.

You can check on the computer BIOS if you have that function to toogle Fn - Ctrl keys.  Also check on the BIOS (not in Windows) if you can turn the keyboard backlike with Fn+Space or Ctrl+Space.

It is just some trial error, but maybe it can work out.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

supportneeded
What's DOS?
Views: 1,431
Message 3 of 7

Re: [Thinkpad S1 Yoga] Fn key not working (also Backlit Keyboard and FnLk toggles not working)

Hi martiniturbide,

Thank you for a response.

The machine model type is 20CDCTO1WW - is that what you mean by specifying the full model type?

How can I check if it is a hardware problem? The Ctrl key doesn't turn on the backlit keyboard either..

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much again!
Guru
Views: 1,409
Message 4 of 7

Hi

Yes, that is the full model number.

I was checking the site for drivers of you model, it is here:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

If Ctrl is not working either, so maybe it is not the Fn / Ctrl toggle.

1.- I think it applies to your model, can give it a try to install the HotKey Features Integration software on your Thinkpad.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds029026

2.- I noticed on my machine (it is a different model from yours) that when I access the BIOS, before Windows boot, the keyboard backlight can light up with Fn+Space. If you shut down your machine and access the BIOS when you turn it on you can give it a try. If it lights up it may be a problem with a Windows Driver.

3.- Just in case, can you check on Control Panel - Keyboard., if you have the Fn tab there.

2016-01-04 11_56_36-Keyboard Properties.png

Just to check if that functionality works.

After these I run out of ideas.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

supportneeded
What's DOS?
Views: 1,400
Message 5 of 7

I installed the Hotkey Features Integration but that didn't help. Is there a directory that I can adjust settings or reassign keys?

I have the same menu under Keyboard Properties in the Control Panel, and it doesn't matter which option I choose, I cannot switch to the non-default using the Fn button.

Thanks again for your help.

S.

Guru
Views: 1,395
Message 6 of 7

Hi

Can you access the BIOS of you computer and check if the keyboard backlight turns on when you press Fn+Space ?

You can access the BIOS when you turn on the computer and press F1. Check it out to see if it works.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

scheini72
What's DOS?
Views: 1,220
Message 7 of 7

Der all,

unfortunately no solution, but confirming the same problem. I thought this is due to Linux (Ubuntu 16.04), but seems not to be the case.

So I think it's the BIOS (I installed the latest)

Dieter

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors