cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enkestøt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 770
Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Issues downgrading from Win 8.1(64 bit) to Win 7 pro (64bit): bsod, ndis.sys

I am currently counting the 4th 5th attempt to downgrade my Yoga 14 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7 professional using a "Windows 7 recovery disc set" (4x dvd) acquired from lenovo.

Except from creating a recovery media for win 8.1... I have carefully followed the instructions provided by lenovo.
During the first phase that consist of swapping discs as instructed by Lenovo R&R the installer reports that a fairly substantial amounts of files are not found. However the installation continues without any regard for these apparent errors.

NA

The system reboots several times and files are extracted and such and matters seem to progress with relative ease.

Then the Windows setup starts cycling through:
OK! - C:\SWWORK\BCD0B.CMD
OK! - C:\DRIVERS\DPINST.CMD
C:\SWWORK\DOWORK.CMD

And there it seems to stop with Preload System Setup displaying "Please wait, Preload Customizations in progress......" in the foreground.
Progress...STUCK!

The reason for this halt in the operation seems to be windows security window in the background demanding response on whether to install a unverified driver of unknown origin.
Proceed

So if one accepts the installation of this mysterious (NVIDIA?) driver the installation will proceed and one will have additional request to install various intel drivers.
NVIDIA33.jpg
AndSoOn333.jpg

During my first attempt to downgrade I manually accepted all the drivers install requests in order to make the installation continue. But at a certain point I get the infamous BSOD stating some serious issues with NDIS.SYS.
(I managed to take a picture the very moment before breakdown during attempt #4 and almost... the entire bluescreen.)
BSOD imminent!
BSOD333.jpg

Then the machine reboots to "Setup is preparing your computer for first use"

A beautiful windows 7 background appears, but a sad and angry piano sound erupts from the speakers indicating that something is most certainly not OK and I am told to start the installation all over.

Cage

So I do the installation once more, same result.
tilbaketilstart333.jpg

Since failure #2 I started over again for the 3rd time, at this point declining all the driver install requests in the hope that these might somehow relate to the NDIS.SYS BSOD, but to my dismay the BSOD is right back again.

Attempt #4: Assuming that the installation process should be left alone I am currently at the aforementioned "Please wait, Preload Customizations in progress......" stage and have spent 30 minutes waiting for the installation to proceed. I guess I can handle waiting for another 60 minutes in order to rule out my own impatience as a factor of destruction in this matter.

And if #4 fails I will then try running the installer/R&R (currently run in US english) in Norwegian, the language of the initially installed win 8.1. I have concocted a theory that the NDIS.SYS BSOD could be related to regional specs of the machine, if any such differences exist... This might be just a foolish idea but at least it soothes my mind in the tormenting process of getting a computer that is not completely (soft)bricked in the near future.

FYI: I tried with patience on #4, but failed miserably. I will now try for the 5th time running the setup in Norwegian whilst listening to the gnashing of my teeth and waiting for Win 8.1 recovery discs to arrive from an undisclosed location in eastern europe.

NEWSFLASH!!!: Tried method #5 and still no sign of improvement, unless you count my rapidly expanding vocabulary of abusive comments as such.

Anyhow, suggestions is very much appreciated!

AND I BELIEVE I HAVE A SUGGESTION MYSELF!!!

It turns out that one may access the "not installed" windows 7 pro desktop if you do the following at the black screen with the annoying message telling you to reinstall:

1.Run task manager

2.New task...

3.explorer.exe

4.you now have 2 explorer.exe tasks running, close the task that consumes the most resources.

5.the darkness disappears but the forcefully instructive box prevails

6.don`t close the box instructing you to reinstall, it will make your system reboot and you go back to start (1.).

7.So now you may actually do something with the operating system that claims to not exist, such as checking out SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER in order to locate the bluescreen inducing problem which is most likely the WI-FI: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 that has a mashed up driver of some description.

And I guess that it is this driver that inhibits the whole install/downgrade process on the system.

culprit.jpg

Any ideas on how complete the installation cycle in order to make win 7 pro fully functional?

Well yes indeed!!!!

To put this infernal racket of a post to an end I present the following information that seems to have provided me with a working Win 7 Pro after defeating the BSOD due to bad wlan drivers, the black screen of death and backup errors due to a , being where a . should be.

I will spare both you and myself of endless elaborations, but merely provide links and copies from posts all over the interwebs that solved my computer problems, at least so far:

#1: How to elude the recurring "...To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation..." (Mr. Beacom is a genius!)

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-could-not-complet...

Q: "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on theis compuiter, restart the installation."

A:MarkBeacom replied on June 28, 2012

When prompted with error unable to complete installation:
Hit SHIFT-F10 to bring up command prompt.

type MMC
Click File -> Add/Remove Snap-in... (Or CTRL+M)
Select Computer Management (Double click and Finish on Local Computer)
Click OK
Double click Computer Management (Local) -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Double Click Administrator -> Uncheck Account is disabled -> OK
Now right click Administrator -> Set Password... -> Set a decent password to get started.

Now, restart. Should be good to go.

If this doesn't work try next step:
SHIFT-F10 to bring up command prompt.
type: CD C:\windows\system32\oobe
type msoobe
enter
Make a generic account and password. hit finish (if it requests a product key and you have one, enter it now. if OEM/No key required, just finish). Set time/date. Finish.
Restart.
Should be good to go

#2: Disable Audit Mode in order to make the  "...To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation..." disappear forever!

Source: http://www.bizzntech.com/2009/11/04/how-to-turn-off-audit-mode-in-windows-7

How to Turn Off Audit Mode in Windows 7

Go to the Start> Run.

Type ‘regedit’ and hit enter.

Find and right-click the relevant registry key for your operating system:

Windows XP: AuditInProgress in HKLM\System\Setup
Windows Vista: ImageState in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State
Windows 7: ImageState in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State Select Modify.

Delete the value and Click OK.

Restart your computer for changes to take effect.

3#: When you want to backup your system in order to never ever have to do this again you might get the following error: (0x80242302) Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/0x80242302-volume-shadow-copy...

Make sure that the Volume shadow copy service is started in service.msc window.

a. Login to the administrator user account.

b. Click Start, type Services.msc in the search box, and run as administrator.

c. In the services window, search for the service: Volume Shadow Copy.

d. Right click the service: Volume Shadow Copy and restart the service.

e. Make sure that the issue is resolved.

4#: And you might get more backup related errors due to a comma , being where a dot . should be.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/982736

Method 1: Change the decimal symbol setting

This problem can occur if the decimal symbol is not set to '.' (dot). This is common in languages and locales other than English (United States), such as German (Germany).

To change the decimal symbol setting, follow these steps:

1. Open Control Panel, click Clock, Language, and Region, and then click Region and Language.
  2. Click the Formats tab, and then click Additional settings.
  3. In the Decimal symbol field, type . (dot), and then click OK two times.
  4. Restart the computer.

OK, good luck.

Top Kudoed Authors