cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
couka
Paper Tape
Views: 346
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Not charging when battery nearly full (Win10)

Hello everyone,

About a week ago, I got an error message saying something like the battery cannot be identified (I'm trying to find a screenshot somewhere).

Since that moment, the battery does not charge when the AC adapter is plugged in, while the battery is nearly full (>90%).

I found this thread and it fits exactly to my problem: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Thinkpad-Yoga-14-battery-quot-plugged-i...

I understand that this behaviour might be a feature to improve the batteries lifespan, but I really want to get rid of that.

The Lenovo Settings App offers the option to manually set the charging-threshold to 40-100%, but setting it to 100% or turning the feature off does not change anything.

Another side effect is that the charging process does not begin until about 1 minute after the AC adapter is plugged in.

I didn't knowingly change anything on the software configuration when the problem appeared, the said error message appeared while watching YouTube-videos.

lg, couka

Guru
Views: 280
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Not charging when battery nearly full (Win10)

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I do not know a solution for your problem, but I want to suggest you some trial an error to see if it can be software related issue.

1) Check the Lenovo Settings and see if it asks you to update the System Interface Foundation drivers.

2) Check the support site and just in case check that you have the latest BIOS and the latest "Lenovo Power Management Driver for Windows 10 "

After that check the "Lenovo Settings" and give it a try turning on the option of "extended the battery life", set it to a 80% and give it some time for it to discharge. After that disable that feature to see if the battery charges back again.

Also on "Lenovo Settings", on the same "battery/power" page it has a "restablish" options, maybe you can also try that later.

Sorry that this is just some trial and error, but it is what it cames to my mind right now.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

couka
Paper Tape
Views: 246
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Not charging when battery nearly full (Win10)

After various down- and upgrades of BIOS, Windows and Lenovo Software it seems the TPY14 just does not want to charge if the charger is plugged in, while >80% battery remaining.

Nothing changes the behaviour, no options to turn it off appear anywhere.

I guess I have to live with it.

lg, couka

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors