Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Happiechicken
What's DOS?
Views: 531
Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad S540 battery and power management problems

Greetings! I have i thinkpad s540 i7 version which I aquired from a friend who said it was broken and he did not know how to fix it. I noticed the battery was not working so I assumed it was dead and replaced it with a new one. The new battery is recognized by windows 10 but is not charging. I got an error message saying it is depleted and needs replacing, even if its brand new (<1 % wear level) If I disconnect the AC power, the computer dies immediately. It does not start on battery power either. This is also independent of OS (tried with linux and nothing at all). Lenovo settings app is installed and reporting the battery in poor condition. (98.98% of full capacity).

The sleep and hibernate function is untrustworthy at best. Although the USB is set to be able to wake the device, after a few hours this is not the case (the computer is connected to an external keyboard, mouse and monitor. I would like to be able to start the computer fra the keyboard since it is kinda a hassle to reach the power button. Often when I want to resume after sleep, it makes sounds as if it is already on but nothing happens ("i" in thinkpad logo flashes softly) and a hard reset is necessary to restart it.

other symptoms include fn key LED and mute LED is always on. The buttons are functional but the LEDs remain on at all times.

These symptoms is leading me to believe that something in the power management control is bad (hardware side). After studying schematics, to the best of my knowledge, the CPU is controlling the power and KB/mute LEDs but the system is running without a hitch otherwise.

Anyone have any ideas? I would really like to use this computer without having the AC plugged in all the time..

Happiechicken

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors