Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonycumial
Paper Tape
Views: 5,686
Message 1 of 13

Thinkpad S540 replacing internal wifi card

Hello everybody,

I have a thinkpad S540 with an Intel Wireless-N 7260 since 1 year ago. As it happens with another users, sometimes the wifi does not work apropriately (the connection cannot be established), and I have to reboot to fix the problem. I have updated to WIndows 10, installed the lastest Intel Wireless drivers and the issue is not fixed.

Besides, I noticed that my laptop has not wifi-ac (5 Ghz) capabilities. Therefore, my questions are the following:

1) Is it possible to replace the internal intel Wireless-N 7260 card for a faster -and more reliable- Wifi-ac card?

(I have noticed that the user manual explain how to replace the intel Wireless-N 7260 card, but I assume that it means replacing a damaged card by another equal wireless-n 7260 card)

2) In replacement parts of lenovo S540 I have found the following Wifi card:

"PN: 04X6010 2 Intel Wilkins Peak 2 7260 2*2 11ac+BT4.0 HMC Module".

Can I replace the internal wireless-n card by this one? Will it fit on my laptop? Must I add an additional antenna for 5 GHz band? How?

3) In internet seems to be another 3rd-party solutions more cheaper than PN 04x6010. Do you recomend some of them realiable for me?

4) If replacing is not feasible due to the lack of an 5 GHz antenna, another solution is to replace my intel wifi-n card by another more realible one (but also wifi-n). Can you recommend to me some realiable and that will fit on my S540 with no problems (neither in hardware nor in software)?

Thank you in advance

tonycumial
Paper Tape
Views: 5,622
Message 2 of 13

Re: Thinkpad S540 replacing internal wifi card

Can anybody help me?
LenovoWarrior
Paper Tape
Views: 5,588
Message 3 of 13

I tried to replace N 7260 card with more advanced AC 7260 but that didn't work - S540 model has certain "white list" of hardware and AC 7260 is not in it. I haven't really figured out where to find the explicit white list, but with AC 7260 it will not boot at BIOS level. 

So please save your money and don't buy anything untill you are sure it will run on S540 (but I don't know how you can be sure in advance... write to support maybe with specific model of wifi card)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,581
Message 4 of 13

The whitelist is in the bill of materials (system service parts on the download page):

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/s540_fru_bom_20140508.pdf

It looks like an ac 7260 is in the whitelist.

04X6010 Intel Wilkins Peak 2 7260 2*2 11ac+BT4.0 HMC Module

Please keep in mind that both the card model and the Lenovo FRU number (04X6010 in this case) are required to pass the whitelist.  A "generic" 7260ac won't pass, but a 04X6010 with Lenovo-specific firmware should.

(I'm going by what I read - no personal experience with this laptop or wifi card)

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

tonycumial
Paper Tape
Views: 5,564
Message 5 of 13

Thanks a lot for the reply

Yes, lenovo suport confirmed me that 04x6010 is in the whitelist, however they told me that they do not guarantee that the 5GHz band will work (because my S540 has originally wifi n, and I do not know whether it has a dual antenna). Therefore I have two additional questions:

1) If I buy the PN: 04x6010 at a 3rd party site, for instance, aliexpress, do you think that my S540 will boot with that? (note that several shops sell this card for about 20$ whereas official lenovo is about 80$). Obviously if I choose aliexpress, I will try to buy a 04x6010 card compatible with S540.

2) My S540 has originally a Wifi n card. If I install the 04x6010 (wifiac card), will the 5 GHz band work? Even only with wifin, will the new card improve the wireless performance/bugs of this laptop?

3) I am very disappointed with Lenovo. I have not found an international email where a lenovo technician could solve my doubts (obviously not the 1st one, but the 2nd one). The question 2 can be only answered for a lenovo technician or by a lenovo user that would have try that.

Note: My Lenovo Thinkpad S540 comes with Wifin and Wifiac (there are two models). Therefore I have the (remote) hope that my S540 would have preinstalled a dual antenna.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,555
Message 6 of 13

Speculation on my part:

1) Yes, if the vendor is honest.

2) The BOM link I posted shows only two WLAN antenna assemblies, but they seem to be the same function by two manufacturers..  The Hardware Maintenance Manual  only mentions 2-connector antenna assembly.  My guess:  all units ship with a 2.4/5GHz dual antennas.  You could pop the base conver and have a look.

Sorry I can't guarantee anything.  Perhaps someone who has made the swap will join the conversation.

I'd be inclined to risk the $20 after pinging the seller about a return guarantee.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

tonycumial
Paper Tape
Views: 5,536
Message 7 of 13

Thank you for the reply.

I will try for the $20 option. There is a low risk for me. I'm sure that someone of S440 or S540 would have made the swap.

somelenovouser1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,122
Message 8 of 13

Hi tonycumial. Did you try? Did it work? Which card did you try?

tonycumial
Paper Tape
Views: 5,112
Message 9 of 13

Yes, I tried it, and it worked perfectly!!.

I bought a 28$ card at aliexpress, exactly the following:

http://es.aliexpress.com/item/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-7260AC-7260HMW-802-11b-g-n-ac-Bluetooth-4-0-A...

I install it on my laptop in 5 minutes. It booted without problems and I had wifi ac without installing anything (no need of new software and no need of new antenna). When I boot my laptop I could connect to wifi 5 GHz signals. Usually, I transfer though wifi (from my desktop pc to the laptop) large video files (about 20 GB os size). With the old card the medium transfer speed was about 10 Mbytes/sec, while with the new card the transfer speed is now 50-60 Mbytes/sec.

Furthermore, with my old card, the wifi connection was lost sometimes, and it was necessaty to reboot to solve the problem. This problem has been also solved.

I recommend this upgrading to anything!!!. My laptop is a S540 model.

tonycumial
Paper Tape
Views: 5,110
Message 10 of 13

In my last sentence, I meant that I recommend this upgrading to everybody!!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors