Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Biff_04
Blue Screen Again
Views: 873
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad Twist (230u) stuck in boot loop, unable to update BIOS

My 230u has been stuck in a loop since a recent Windows Update. The machine crashes while booting Win 8.1, reboots and crashes again during the recovery phase, then this cycle repeats. Reinstalling Windows doesn't work, as the same thing occurs during the install process, even with a 'clean' install. I've run the pre-boot Lenovo Diagnostics, and every result reads 'PASSED'. I've attempted to update the BIOS from both a bootable CD and bootable USB, and the result reads 'failed to read bios". The machine is currently a brick that passes all diagnostics. Is there any solution to this?

EDIT: Current bios version is 1.70

Guru
Views: 756
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad Twist (230u) stuck in boot loop, unable to update BIOS

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Can you define what kind of crash do you have? Is it showing some error message?

I always think that if it turns on and you can access the BIOS there is hope Smiley Happy

Can you access the BIOS? Does it works normally and does not hangs there?

According to the error it may also be some faulty memory module or even the HDD.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Biff_04
Blue Screen Again
Views: 696
Message 3 of 6

Hi Martin,

The crash happens while Windows is loading - "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart..." and gives ACPI_BIOS_ERROR. It reboots to the same problem, occassionally getting as far as offering recovery options, all of which lead back to the same crash loop.

I can access the BIOS without a problem, and can run the on-boot Lenovo Diagnostics. All the tests (memory, HDD, etc.) come back as 'passed', so the machine itself appears to be working correctly. I can even run any flavour of Linux on it - it's just that any attempt to re-install Windows is met with crashes and a return to the inexplicable boot loop.

Thanks for the reply!

Regards,

Biff

Guru
Views: 687
Message 4 of 6

Hi

Is it an option for you to produce a Windows 10 or 8.1 USB Flash boot drive and try to reinstall a fresh OS?

You can get the Windows Creation Tool (Windows 8.1 and Windows 10) from the Microsoft site.

If the fresh installer from the USB flash drive produces you the same error, I would try to wipe all the partition and let Windows manage how he wants the partiton on the install (Please remember to back up everything) and my second idea will be to check if HDD may be defective.

I don't have that machine so I'm just guessing now. I hope it gives you some hints-

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Biff_04
Blue Screen Again
Views: 671
Message 5 of 6

Hi,
Installing Win 7/8.1/10 from USB or external DVD produce the same errors, even after wiping the partition. HDD passes every test I can throw at it.

I have no idea why Linux will install but Windows keeps failing. I'd found hints that there might be some weird license authenticator on the recovery SSD that's corrupted, but that seems crazy.
Guru
Views: 663
Message 6 of 6

Hi.

I'm checking some other forum threads about the Twist 230u. (I don't have that model).

It seems modern enought to have an UEFI BIOS and seems that the Windows keys are stored in the BIOS.

What some people suggest is to access the BIOS and restore the "Factory/Default" values.

If that does not work I think also that can be interesting to see if it has the BIOS has UEFI/Legacy mode and swap it to try if Windows behavies normally to install under Legacy mode. Be aware that in legacy mode Windows 10 will not be able to activate, but at least we will find if the UEFI BIOS is causing issues.

Also, the latest BIOS Update on the support site (1.73) does not list any improvements from version 1.70, but 1.70 says it has "Added support for Microsoft Windows 10 64bit." under "Important updates. Just in case validate the version and the DATE of you BIOS just to be sure.

There is a BIOS 1.73 update boot CD,  I would try that if none of the rest works.

...and now I'm starting to run out of ideas.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors