cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulwiggy995
Punch Card
Views: 3,409
Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad Twist s230u 2100: Detection Error on HDD0 (Main HD)

Hi there guys! First of all, it's my first time to post something here. Just recently purchased a Thinkpad Twist. However, after a few days, all of a sudden, I always get the error 2100: Detection Error on HDD0 (Main HD). I'm not sure what exactly is the problem though because after a few minutes, when I restart, it'll load Windows 8 back and eventually after a few browsing and use of computer, will force restart stating there's a problem encountered, etc. Once it restarts, it gives the same 2100 error again.

Please help me guys as I'm really frustrated. I can't seem to use the computer normally without force restart due to error and loading windows 8 thereafter due to 2100 error.

YQ
What's DOS?
Views: 3,106
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad Twist s230u 2100: Detection Error on HDD0 (Main HD)

I have the same problem. When I reboot the computer it keep on showing this error and it happened very often. But when you try a few time reboot it may be OK . So frustrated......I will call the support center...

juansensads
What's DOS?
Views: 2,758
Message 3 of 8

did you find out how to fix it?

glennschatz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,648
Message 4 of 8

Anyone have any advice here?

darkhorses
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,526
Message 5 of 8

We have three twists all with the same issue, after two new hard drives I took the twist apart and checked the cables, most of the time the hard drive will vanish from the system due to a power loss to the drive. But that didn't. Solve the issue. Here is what we did and so far so good we disabled the air bag protection and picked up a Kingston ssd drive kit. In the kit it has brackets cut the brackets to fit the drive make it snug, slip in the new drive and clone it if your old drive is working. Then place something nonconductive on the left side top of the drive to hold it firmly in place. It's been months with no issue. Two of the twists we sent the motherboard for the hard drive socket to be replaced all are now working fine. This sounds ridiculous but so far it worked for us. The twists have a loose socket issue putting it firmly in place seems to be working for now.
glennschatz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,503
Message 6 of 8

I'd almost rather buy a new laptop than go through that trouble.  I'd be interested to hear from Lenovo more about whether this is a model problem.  What the disabling the air bag protection do for you?  Is that a good first step, or is it worthless without the more intrusive fix you mentioned?

kvirtanen
802.11n
Views: 2,171
Message 7 of 8

Guys, check this out, maybe it helps:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/S-Series-ThinkPads-ThinkPad-Yoga/2100-Detection-error-on-HDD0-Thinkpad-Y...

The error 2100 is found in many other Lenovo systems, too (might be worth checking out forums for other models as well).
http://vanhavirta.fi/
Bruksa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,498
Message 8 of 8

I want to tell about the way that I solved the issue.

The first time problem occured to me, I had Ubuntu installed on the small SSD drive, my notebook failed to wake up and then I discovered problems with my hard drive. (I have a 24 GB SSD and 500 GB HDD version of the notebook). There was another problem - sometimes keyboard or trackpoint refused to work. In computer repair service I was told that I should use Windows to solve the trackpoint issue, so they replaced 24 GB SSD by 128 (because I wanted it on SSD) and installed Windows. But it didn't solve the problem with the hard disk. They tried to fix it several times with no success. They even tried to connect the hard disk to direct to south bridge. There was no error during the boot, but still there were problems with disk dissapearing and appearing again.

I tried to solve the problem my way - to reduce the looseness of the disk and the notebook body, so I assebbled and dissasembled my computer many times, but the problem still stayed on. Last time I did it, I snapped of the wires to the south bridge... 2100 error returned.  But then I found the solution. 

There are two screws, that hold the connector in place. And there are sites on the motherboard for them, that are too high, so the connector stays disconnected ( I beg a pardon for my english), so I made them shorter with the nail file and now the problem is almost gone. "Almost" means that sometimes the speed of reading/writing of the hard disk becomes low, but I've assembled and dissasembled my notebook so many times, that I'm afraid to cut them more and solve my problem completely, because my notebook will fall apart from one more dissasembly...

I hope that someone will find this information useful. Be careful  to do anything to your computer. Good luck everyone.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors