Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

58 Posts

01-06-2013

Calgary

599 Signins

2208 Page Views

• Views: 2208
  • Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad Twist webcam issue

2013-02-17, 4:22 AM

Our family has two Thinkpad Twist laptops. As I described recently on this forum my Twist has multiple touchscreen issues with all the usual symptoms described here by many others.
Well today my wife asked me why the webcam doesn't work on her Twist. I went straight to the Device Manager, but there are no issues there with the webcam. Just to make sure this is not a software issue, I did the following:
- uninstalled the current driver
- installed the most recent driver from Lenovo
- checked if the camera is enabled in BIOS.
Basically what happens whenever the camera is accessed by the Camera app or other programs like Skype, the green light turns on, but the screen is blank, only has the crossed camera logo. So again the green is on, but the camera is not working. My wife told me that the camera has never worked since she started using the laptop. So it's not like it worked before and now it's not.
Can anyone suggest any solution, or is this definitely a hardware problem?
If this is a hardware problem could it be that maybe the camera cable is disconnected from the motherboard? But is that still true if the green LED lights up? Is the LED independent from the camera module?

Answer
Options

642 Posts

12-11-2012

Raleigh, NC

370 Signins

26193 Page Views

• Views: 26193

Re: Thinkpad Twist webcam issue

2013-02-17, 16:06 PM

Hey there ciuvak,

You describe the image that you can see as grey with the camera icon crossed out, is that correct? This sounds like the Privacy Setting may be turned on. If you will, go into Lenovo Settings App and select camera. When this load you should see two options on the screen, one of which is Private and Normal. Select Normal.

Additionally make sure that you have given Skype and other similar apps the permission to access the Webcam or Microphone. You can set the permission under Settings then Permissions.

Lastly, if this does not provide a solution, I would like you to uninstall your camera and reboot the computer. This will have Windows install a generic camera driver, let us know if this provide some result. I hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Replies(5)
Answer
Options

642 Posts

12-11-2012

Raleigh, NC

370 Signins

26193 Page Views

• Views: 26193
  • Message 2 of 6

2013-02-17, 16:06 PM

Hey there ciuvak,

You describe the image that you can see as grey with the camera icon crossed out, is that correct? This sounds like the Privacy Setting may be turned on. If you will, go into Lenovo Settings App and select camera. When this load you should see two options on the screen, one of which is Private and Normal. Select Normal.

Additionally make sure that you have given Skype and other similar apps the permission to access the Webcam or Microphone. You can set the permission under Settings then Permissions.

Lastly, if this does not provide a solution, I would like you to uninstall your camera and reboot the computer. This will have Windows install a generic camera driver, let us know if this provide some result. I hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

58 Posts

01-06-2013

Calgary

599 Signins

2208 Page Views

• Views: 2208
  • Message 3 of 6

2013-02-17, 18:50 PM
You were right. I opened Lenovo Settings and the camera was on Private instead of Normal. I'm not sure why the default setting on this other Twist was Private, but anyway, after I switched to Normal, the camera now works fine with any app. Thank you for the quick reply!
I have some bad news too. So far I thought only my laptop has issues with the touchscreen, because for almost a week my wife's Twist worked perfectly. But yesterday for the first time her laptop started having the same issues after waking up from sleep. I think through the week she hasn't used the laptop too much, but yesterday it was on all day. I'm starting to think maybe it's a heat issue?
I also discovered that when I have issues with the touchscreen, if I power the laptop OFF, and flip the screen in tablet mode, and then turn it ON, the touchscreen works fine.
Also yesterday for the first time I had a really weird issue. I opened the laptop (after sleep), the mouse cursor was stuck on the right side, and wouldn't move when I tried to move it. My touchpad is OFF, so I am using the Trackpoint all the time. But in that situation when I was trying to move the mouse with the trackpoint, it would quickly flash and move only slightly (1-2cm on the screen) no mater how hard I would push it to a target on the screen, also when released it would instantly go back to where it was stuck previously.
The issues went away after I did a restart using keyboard shortcuts, because it wasn't possible to do anything with the mouse.
I really hope all these issues are driver related and hopefully Lenovo staff will find a solution soon. I like the laptop a lot and don't want to send it back.
Options

1 Posts

02-21-2013

San Diego

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-02-21, 6:40 AM

I have the exact same issue but I don't have the Lenovo Settings app because I installed Windows 8 on a Fresh SSD.

Any ideas? 

Options

2 Posts

01-20-2014

usa

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 5 of 6

2014-01-20, 20:39 PM

I have this same problem , however my Lenovo settings wil not let me release the privacy mode and go to normal mode. thoughts?

Options

5 Posts

03-24-2014

Canada

18 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 6 of 6

2014-06-15, 3:35 AM

Did you figure this out? I, too, have Windows 8.0 (64-bit).

To get to the Camera privacy settings as described in this post, I went into the Windows tiles/apps view. I'm new to Windows 8, and and not sure what to call this, but from the standard style destkop, I move the mouse pointer to the top-right corner and then select the Start icon {the "Windows" icon).

Next, under "Lenovo Apps", I selected the green Leovono "Settings" icon/box (has a gear icon in it). At this point, I was immediately redirected to a webpage to downtown an update. After doing this, I went back to the green Settings box and once I clicked on it, I had a Camera option anb then the Privacy/Normal option as described in this post.

Here is the webpage I was directed to in order to download the lastest Lenovo Settings option:

download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/windows8/download-settings-dependency.htm?name=settingsdependencytp

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms