Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonathanFalk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,996
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad X380 Yoga - High CPU clock speed with low load & loud fan

I received my X380 Yoga with the i7-8550u a couple week back and the first thing I noticed was the fan running almost constantly. I checked task manager and noticed that even though the CPU usage is remaining low, the clock speed is running at around 3.80 GHz. 

My power profile is set to balanced with the minimum processor state set to 5%. If I change the maximum processor state to 99% then the clock speeds drop to below the base speed of 1.99 GHz and the fan quiets down.  The problem is the CPU will never go above 1.99 GHz when set like this, so performance is noticeably reduced.

I've played around in the bios and the only thing that seems to drop the idle clock speed is to turn off Intel SpeedStep which again stops the CPU from going above 1.99 GHz.

From my experience with my past computers the CPU should clock down when the load is low. Is this normal behaviour for this computer and processor? I am I missing a setting, or maybe a program or process is demanding full clock speed from the processor?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 8,928
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad X380 Yoga - High CPU clock speed with low load & loud fan

Is the behavior you describe, only on AC power?

If so, take a look at this thread, and the post that is marked as the solution:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-gen-CPU-frequency-pegged-at-max/t...

JonathanFalk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,920
Message 3 of 10

Yes, it's only when on AC power. I applied the commands you recommended in the other thread and it worked! My CPU is longer pegged at turbo frequencies  and the fan noise has been reduced.

Will this change affect the performance at all? I ran a Geekbench before and after and the result were similar. I'm wondering why Lenovo decided to run the CPU at max frequency when the load is low, they must have felt there was a benifit besides extra heat and fan noise.

The other thread was specifically for the 3rd gen X1 Yoga, I noticed in there you spoke of updates in the works to reduce the fan noise. Are there also updates in the works for X380?

Thanks

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 8,880
Message 4 of 10

I am not sure why Lenovo decided to always run the CPU at max frequency on AC power.  I think it may have been based on some advice from Intel, but they must not have considered  the fan behavior.  I'm checking whether there will be additional updates for fan behavior with X380 Yoga like there will be for X1 Yoga.

surfer81
Punch Card
Views: 3,196
Message 5 of 10

I have the same issue here, the fan is running during normal office work while the AC Adapter is pluged in. If I unplug the AC Adapter the fan noise disappears after a short time.

I do not use the factory preload image but a Windows 10 1809 installation so the PowerConfigurationPatch.exe will not help here.

surfer81
Punch Card
Views: 728
Message 6 of 10

@someotherguy 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 711
Message 7 of 10

There are no updates in the works for X380 Yoga and fan noise.  Try moving the power slider to "better performance" to reduce fan noise at the expense of performance.

mfra
Paper Tape
Views: 674
Message 8 of 10

@surfer81 any update? any solution for it?
surfer81
Punch Card
Views: 664
Message 9 of 10

I have changed "Mode for AC" to "Battery Optimized" but this also did not help in solving the problem.

Scan – 2019-09-17 13_44_02.jpeg

it's very disappointing to hear there are no updates in the works for X380 Yoga and fan noise from LENOVO

mfra
Paper Tape
Views: 651
Message 10 of 10

**bleep** it! Smiley Mad

i'm also very disappointed by Lenovo! the sound of the fan is really annoying!

my next laptop won't be a lenovo anymore!

#byebyelenovo #nolenovo #loudfan

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors