Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LoneSentry
SCSI Port
Views: 4,512
Message 1 of 14

Thinkpad Yoga 12 BIOS 1.08 disables cooling fan.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 4,494
Message 2 of 14

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 12 BIOS 1.08 disables cooling fan.

Even better: there's a fix by new forum hero LoneSentry. Direct link to the relevant post here

Tip: the post number in "message 47 of 50" contains a link to that post. 

paraloid
Core Memory
Views: 4,468
Message 3 of 14

I had exactly the opposite problem with my new i7-5500U - amongst the various problems I've been struggling with was no fan with vanilla BIOS: TP fan and other utilities couldn't tell me anything; updated to 1.08 BIOS yesterday and the fan came on with a rush,TPfan works etc.

After 24 hours so far so good.

Thinkpads: T40, T61, Yoga 12
LoneSentry
SCSI Port
Views: 4,456
Message 4 of 14

@paraloid wrote:

I had exactly the opposite problem with my new i7-5500U - amongst the various problems I've been struggling with was no fan with vanilla BIOS: TP fan and other utilities couldn't tell me anything; updated to 1.08 BIOS yesterday and the fan came on with a rush,TPfan works etc.

After 24 hours so far so good.

Yesterday, you say? Hmm....I installed 1.08 on the 22nd.

LoneSentry
SCSI Port
Views: 4,449
Message 5 of 14

Alright, tried installing 1.08 again, and cooling fan still works.

So I guess it was either ninja fixed or the order in which drivers/BIOS are installed matters.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 4,317
Message 6 of 14

By now a new BIOS update 1.09 appears in the System Update tool. Unfortunately the 'show details' shows blank for me. Not sure how I feel about installing this one. Any volunteers for trying this out?

Edit: and it looks like there is even a 1.10 that is not yet showing in the System Update: 

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Any takers?

LoneSentry
SCSI Port
Views: 4,310
Message 7 of 14

@joesixgig wrote:

By now a new BIOS update 1.09 appears in the System Update tool. Unfortunately the 'show details' shows blank for me. Not sure how I feel about installing this one. Any volunteers for trying this out?

Edit: and it looks like there is even a 1.10 that is not yet showing in the System Update: 

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Any takers?

I volunteer as tribute.

Installed 1.09 successfully, haven't tried 1.10. If anything did break, it's not the cooling fan.

paraloid
Core Memory
Views: 4,300
Message 8 of 14

Hi, I wrote in message 3 saying that Bios 1.08 had resolved the problem of my fan NOT working. Well dang it all, the fan stopped working again after I did a system restore ( to just two days earlier). I noticed there was a new Bios (1.9), updated it and my fan came roaring back.

I must say I am a bit tired of this - I keep on getting random short hangs and a BSOD every couple of days. As  soon as I am through my current batch of intense work I am going to do a complete system install. But all these problems with a top end machine is no joke

(I lost my pen the other day too Smiley Sad)

Thinkpads: T40, T61, Yoga 12
LoneSentry
SCSI Port
Views: 4,137
Message 9 of 14

@paraloid wrote:

Hi, I wrote in message 3 saying that Bios 1.08 had resolved the problem of my fan NOT working. Well dang it all, the fan stopped working again after I did a system restore ( to just two days earlier). I noticed there was a new Bios (1.9), updated it and my fan came roaring back.

I must say I am a bit tired of this - I keep on getting random short hangs and a BSOD every couple of days. As  soon as I am through my current batch of intense work I am going to do a complete system install. But all these problems with a top end machine is no joke

(I lost my pen the other day too Smiley Sad)

Might as well join us here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/S-Series-ThinkPads-ThinkPad-Yoga/Thinkpad-Yoga-12-BIOS-update-disables-...

ButWhy
Paper Tape
Views: 3,702
Message 10 of 14

What's the solution, i checked the link and it doesn't seem like anything's solved at all. What am I missing?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors