cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giulsi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,456
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad Yoga 12: digitizer? (20DL000SIX)

Hello,

I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12 (20DL000SIX) that does not come with the pen apparently (I still have to receive it physically), but *does* have the full HD capacitive screen multitouch (1920 x 1080).
I also bought separately the Thinkpad Yoga digitizer pen (4X80F22110).

I spent a lot of time to understand if the two are compatible (i.e. the wacom digitizer is installed or not on the laptop), and on Lenovo website, following Products -> Accessories&Software -> Search For Compatible Accessories For Your System, it looks that indeed they are:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:find-compati...

I see that there are multiple posts on similar issue, confirming that the communication of Lenovo about pens and digitizer is really inadequate.

I read in many places that the thinkpad yoga's that don't come with the pen do *not* have the digitizer. I also read that the full HD screens does have te digitizer. So, I'm getting confused...: my yoga does have the full HD but does not come with the pen included!
There is no clear information anywhere and also the Lenovo  support (I called on the phone many times) is not satisfactive on this.
Does anyone have the same model, or have a more clear idea on this topic?

Thanks!

Giulia

Guru
Views: 2,401
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 12: digitizer? (20DL000SIX)

Hi giulsi

I also agree with you on this subject. There is much confusion with the "pens" on Thinkpad Yogas.

I think that Lenovo should specify better on the webpage (shop) which Thinkpad Yoga came with Active Pen, and on the Pen pages (also on the shop page) they should specify which models apply for it, and where to search if you computer has support for it.

How to know if you Thinkpad Yoga is Pen Compatible?

For the moment one thing that works to know if your Thinkpad is "Pen Compatible" is to search on the PSRef books.

http://psref.lenovo.com/

or

http://psref.lenovo.com/Book

I searched your model:

http://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkPad_Yoga_12?M=20DL000S%2B%2B

It says it has:

Pen Digitizer pen

So that's good......

There are other models that says "Active Pen".. not sure if that means it only works with the "Thinkpad Pen Pro" or not.

How to resolve the question of which pen is good for you?

Thinkpad Yoga Pen suppor page:

https://support.lenovo.com/ec/es/documents/pd030464

It says "The ThinkPad Yoga Pen supports the ThinkPad Yoga." So it may also work.

I'm guessing that it will work, but please post back when you get your pen to see if it works with your model.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

giulsi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,396
Message 3 of 7

Hi 

giulsi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,272
Message 4 of 7

Hello,

I forgot to confirm that the diitizer pen actually works on my Lenovo TPY 12! Thanks for the feedback and support!
giulia

reck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,203
Message 5 of 7

Giulia

Thanks for confirming that. I suspect that when you get the high res (1080) screen you get the digitizer for the pen installed. But not the low res screen. So, you can buy either the Yoga pen as you have - or indeed any Wacom pen from the last ten years, if you want a better quality pen.

If you buy the whole laptop lid/screen assembly form somewhere then you can upgrade a low res Yoga screen to both high res and add the pen capability.

I have an older X61 Lenovo laptop/tablet and from what I can see it uses the same technology as the Yoga 12.  However, mine had a lower res screen, so I wanted to upgrade it so I had a high res screen and the pen. When I did this I transferred the digitiser from the back of the old LCD screen to the new high res one and it all worked just fine (with a bit of calibration). The digitiser was effectively a big piece of foil with some electronics attached that detected the movement of the pen on the other side of the LCD panel.

If you take apart your screen you'll see it is a sandwich of three things, top layer is the touch sensitive glass panel, behind that is the high res LCD screen and behind that is the 'foil' Wacom digitiser. 

So, can anyone tell me what the FRUs are for the digitiser electronics (the foil bit from Wacom and the associated electronics) and where/how I can order that bit. I'd like to add the pen to my Yoga but I can live without the ultra high resolution screen, as I think it may well suck up a little bit more power. Thanks in advance!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,197
Message 6 of 7

Good day and welcome to the community, reck.

I've never seen the discrete digitizer component of the LCD panel assembly detailed as a separately replaceable FRU.

Pretty much any part that can be sourced will be listed in the FRU parts listing:

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/yoga12_frubom_20151123.pdf

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

reck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,187
Message 7 of 7

Thanks... yep I've been here before but not for a while Smiley Happy I had a lot of self inflicted pain buying a Yoga RT from Best Buy a few years back while I was in the US and it took about 9 months to sort that out!

The FRU list isn't exactly easy to understand but depending on how things play out with the supplier of my Yoga12 I will likely be diving into its innards to do this modification(s). Because I'm likely to have to source bits from the US and or China, it may be some months before I report back on success or otherwise!

Top Kudoed Authors