Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glavender
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,625
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad Yoga 14 SIM card slot

I am trying to locate the broadband sim card slot.  I have a ThinkPad Yoga 14 with a EM7455 WWAN broadband card in the M.2 slot.  Documentation shows sim card slot on the back opposite the fans with a pin hole to pop out a SIM tray.  There is no slot on back of the case.   I took bottom cover off the Yoga 14 and located a SIM card socket, but I am not sure its the broadband sim card socket to hold a broadband provider sim (like one from T-Mobile or AT&T).

At the back about where there should be a SIM card tray, there is a 8 contact SIM socket labeled SIM1 on the motherboard.  I am assuming this the cellular SIM card socket, but it will not take a micro-sim card.  It is to loose to hold it.  It looks like it needs a sim tray.

Anyone have any experience with a ThinkPad Yoga 14 sim card or have a suggestion?  Photos of motherboard and sim slot below.    

Thank you, Gerry          

motherboard1.jpg

sim2.jpg

Moderator comment: Empty whitespace removed for better thread readability.

Guru
Views: 1,579
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 14 SIM card slot

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I don't have much experience with the TP Yoga 14 and the broadband card, mine does not have one.

The SIM slot looks like it is for a regular size SIM, if you want to include a micro-sim card it looks to me you need the adapter, which is just a piece of plastic that fits the micro-sim card.

I can not know exactly which you need:

MicroSIM.jpg

But I have a doubt on where is the M.2 EM7455 WWAN broadband card. Checking the maintenance manual I was not sure where it fits: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tp_yoga_b

From what I see here is the location of M.2 slot, but I'm not sure if the broadband card goes there.

2016-10-14 21_53_56-Start.png

Sorry to don't be more helpfull.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

glavender
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,570
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the response.  I have already installed a M.2 EM7455 WWAN broadband card in the empty M.2 slot which is recognized by Windows 10.  I tried the sim adapters standard, micro, and nano. The standard was too wide and the micro too narrow.  This leads me to believe the sim slot/socket takes a little tray similar to an iPhone sim tray.  I looked in Lenovo parts online for ThinkPad Yoga 14.  They show a sim bracket part# 00UP121 under mechanical assemblies.  I ordered one to see if works. Just baffled why the Yoga 14 cover does not have an external opening for the sim bracket tray.  Below is a picture of the part off the web site.

Pjbarrett1980
What's DOS?
Views: 1,170
Message 4 of 5

Did you ever get the SIM card to work if so what did you do. Thanks

glavender
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,160
Message 5 of 5

I ordered the SIM card sim bracket part# 00UP121 under mechanical assemblies.  It did work, but I had to file a rectangular opening in the laptop case for the sim card bracket to slide through to push into the sim socket on the motherboard. The hole in the sim card is to stick a small wire or pin into to pop out the sim card. I do not know why the sim card slot was not already cut through the case to access the sim card slot. Disappointing for a company like Lenovo.to leave engineering and manufacturing undone in a released product like a ThinkPad

simm1s.jpgsimm2s.jpgsimm3s.jpg

Top Kudoed Authors