Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ldal
Paper Tape
Views: 842
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad Yoga 14 bios update failure

I have a type DY20 Thinkpad Yoga 14 and foolishly accepted recommended Lenovo System updates including a bios update. Shoukd have known better. The system will not boot at all now. I started the update from within the Lenovo maintenance system with 90% battery and AC plugged in. When i checked things 30 minutes later after the screen said shutting down i discovered the power button on and function key lit but no action. I just let it sit all night. Today no change and i can power off the system with the button but can't force it to boot.

The laptop had been working perfectly before this misguided bios update. The system is out of warranty. Is there any possibility of recovering the old bios or any other recovery method?

RHacherl
What's DOS?
Views: 769
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 14 bios update failure

I attempted the update this morning and the download went smoothly. I assume it's installing now, as I have a black screen with the spinning circle of dots. Going on 7 hours now...

ldal
Paper Tape
Views: 758
Message 3 of 4

RHacherl,

I hope yours is proceeding ok but I would be suspicious. My download was quick and the update application appeared to finish within a few minutes before the automatic shut down/restart. Nothing took hours of spinning circles. Just no reboot. I left mine in that state all night but out was no different 9 hours later. Good luck.

Anyone else have answers?

ldal
Paper Tape
Views: 720
Message 4 of 4

Problem solved! A local computer repair shop I have used that can do board level repairs was able to purchase a code for the bios chip and directly program the bios chip via Eeprom. Cost including their labor was $160. Much better than new motherboard or sending back to Lenovo for $650 which was not going to happen since BestBuy w as selling the same computer new last for $800.

Top Kudoed Authors