US

4 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad Yoga 14 - replacing hard drive

2017-11-02, 23:23 PM

Hello forum,

I have a Thinkpad Yoga 14 (purchased in 2016) with a broken hard drive (windows won't boot, diagnostics say it's a hardware issue). I'm planning to replace the hard drive, and I have a couple of questions about the process:

1. What size/brand of hard drive will fit this laptop? I don't want to purchase a hard drive that ends up being too large or too small for the laptop's bay. 

2. Will I require any extra tools/devices for the replacement? The instructions for replacements on the internet seem fairly straightforward, but will I need any more than a screwdriver for this laptop?

3. I believe that this laptop has both an HDD for storage, and an auxiliary SSD to improve performance. I'd like to not have to buy another hard drive, so is it possible to simply remove the HDD and use the SSD as the main drive disk? Storage is not a huge issue for me.

4. Given that the hard drive is damaged to the point where windows cannot boot, will it still be possible to copy Windows from the old drive to the new drive, or will I have to purchase a new copy of Windows?

Links to any other resources/further explanation about hard drive replacement for the Yoga 14 is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save