Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trugvason
Paper Tape
Views: 2,760
Message 1 of 15

Thinkpad Yoga 15 fan noise

I bought my Thinkpad Yoga 15 two weeks ago.

The cooling fan is going non-stop and has an irritating whining sound.

Even if i'm not using the computer, and there are no programs running, you still hear the fan.

Anyone who has the same problem? What can I do?

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 2,715
Message 2 of 15

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 15 fan noise

1) The problem may be arising from your Power plan. Assuming you're using W10, right-click on the battery icon, click Power options > Change plan settings (of the power plan that is currently active) > Change Advanced Power Settings > Proccesor Power Management > System Cooling Policy (image attached) and set it both to Passive (I know, mine is on Active).

Click here to view image

Then go to Minimum Processor State (just above the System Cooling Policy thing) and set your value as low as possible, 0% being ideal.

Let me know if it worked, if not, well... I don't have any suggestions as of yet.

2) There may be the chance that it is a lemon component or maybe a faulty driver. I don't know what the fan (component name) is called and where you can find it but just try looking around in Device Manager or investigate on the internet.

Mod's Edit: Image(s) converted to link(s) due to size.  Images are limited to 100k size per forum guidelines.
                     Please refer to About Posting Pictures for more information.

Have a good day.
Trugvason
Paper Tape
Views: 2,706
Message 3 of 15

Thank you for the suggestion. 

It was already passive on battery, but I changed it from active to passive when plugged in.

And I also changed Minimum Processor State from 5% to 0%

Doesn't seem to change anything.

Trugvason
Paper Tape
Views: 2,703
Message 4 of 15

Might have found the solution.

Found out that Intel(R) Local Management Service (32bit) was the thing that used over 30% CPU, and when I shut that down, the fan stopped being noisy.

Does anyone know what Intel(R) Local Management Service is, and is it important?

Can I shut it down permanently?

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 2,697
Message 5 of 15

In one word: NO!

Let me give you the summary of what it does: "This program provides the Intel Management Engine Components Driver for a computer. The Intel Management Components monitor the installed Intel hardware, such as chipsets, storage, and other components. They will notify you if there are problems, updated drivers, and other information about those components." (read more here [opens in new tab]). You should, however look into if a way of limiting how much resources a task uses.

Have a good day.
Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 2,694
Message 6 of 15

Check here if there are some updates for your system's fan, chipset, or power drivers: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...
Have a good day.
Trugvason
Paper Tape
Views: 2,691
Message 7 of 15

Okay, understood.

Seem to have it under control now. It started again when I restarted the PC, but it doesn't use nearly as much CPU. Don't know why it did. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. The noise level seems to be normal now. 

Thanks for the help. 

Trugvason
Paper Tape
Views: 2,600
Message 8 of 15

I'm still having trouble with the fan.

Each time I open Google Chrome it's starts going, and if I open more than one tab, it's getting noisy again. I need to keep the CPU below 10-15% to not be irritated by the whining.

Should I contact Lenovo? Does this sound like something that I can get fixed under warranty?

bedejong
Paper Tape
Views: 2,461
Message 9 of 15

Someone please respond whether the issue of fan noise is normal. I have the same problem and would rather not (unncessarily) send it back for repair. In my case the fan temporarily spikes whenever I open a program or whatever. I wish it would only increase its circulation during prolonged periods of high CPU... It is bugging the crap out of me.

Trugvason
Paper Tape
Views: 2,454
Message 10 of 15

Mine was not normal.

I sent it for repair a month ago, and it is still awaiting spareparts.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors