Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bedejong
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 11 of 15

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 15 fan noise

Ahh bugger... I really don't want to send it for repair... But it seems I might have to. Whenever I open a program, even the lightest one, the CPU spikes and thus the fan spikes. I have made all the power plan settings as advised by others, installed all the latest updates, but nothing seems to help. The whining is really annoying, I refrain from using the device... which is a shame considernig I paid big money for it and intended to use it for heavy load such as running Python or MatLab scripts.

What's your experience with the constumor service thus far?

Trugvason
Paper Tape
Views: 776
Message 12 of 15

Seems like we have a similar problem. I refrained from using my laptop as well, simply because of the whining.

Well.. I guess my experience with the local (Denmark) customer service is okay, they answer my e-mails and are friendly.

But the problem is that my laptop is still awaiting spareparts at the repair center in Frankfurt. It has been a month now.

I asked them about this, and the only answer they could provide was that the sparepart is backordered, and that they have no estimated delivery date.

I filed a complaint by e-mail this week, and they promised to get back to me.

ba_admin
What's DOS?
Views: 611
Message 13 of 15

What part did they replace? Did it fix the fan noise?
ba_admin
What's DOS?
Views: 610
Message 14 of 15

Has anybody gotten this fixed? Does Lenovo monitor these threads? My yoga 15 has been bothering me for months with it's intermittant high-pitched fan noise but I spent so much money on it I don't want to get a new laptop. Is there any fix for this? I've updated all the hardware drivers and checked power settings and still the fan will occationally whine for long periods even when I'm not using it. Are these things just cheap laptops?

bedejong
Paper Tape
Views: 600
Message 15 of 15

I decided to send my Yoga 15 for repair two months ago. It took me a while to come to terms with the possibility that the repair would take weeks or even months... based on other people's stories.

I took care to greatly exagerate my complaint when filing for repair service in the hopes of increasing the odds that they would actually seriously take a look at the issue. Surprisingly enough, I received mine back within three work days. According to Lenovo they replaced the fan but I did not notice any change whatsoever.

Before I sent it for repair I already noticed that if I cover a certain section of the bottom grid through which the fan sucks in air (or vents out air, I'm not sure, don't really feel any air flow there) the high-pitched tone which accompanies fan blowing decreases to an acceptable level. It seems like it either prevents something from resonating, and thus from producing the high-pitched tone, or it simply blocks the propogation of the high-pitched tone. Either way, it is workable for me. Mind you, I've only done some browsing since I received it back, no heavy stuff.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors