Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3rika
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,210
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad Yoga 260 WWAN

Hello,
After purchase my Thinkpad Yoga 260 I've tried to connect with a 3g operator through the side slot (wich costed me an extra) just to discover that my laptop doesn't have a WWAN module. 

Now I need to know if my laptop as the possibility to add one (wich I hope so because it was one of the main reason why i bought it) anyone knows how to? 
Anyway it's very hard to me to understand why give me the choice to assembly it with the slot if there's no way to use it.

Guru
Views: 3,097
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 260 WWAN

Hi, welcome to the forum.

If the computer has a slot to add a 3G SIM card does not mean that the computer has 3G support. I guess this is because there should be the option to buy a cheaper model without 3G for the people that does not use it, and Lenovo wants to keep the option of buying a card on the future for the customer. It is always important to check the features of the laptop.

On your case I think you have two options. You can send it to a Lenovo shop (or technical associate) so they can install the card for a price. Or you can try it yourself.

If you want to do it yourself:

1) what I would do is to check the "Maintenance Manual" of the Thinkpad Yoga 260. Check where the card should be inserted and the instrucctions to dissasembly the laptop.

2) Check the part number of the compatible 3G Cards for your model, also on the support site:

https://support.lenovo.com/ec/es/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad...

- I'm guessing it is part #10

Check the PDF on that page to see the Part Numbers compatible.  For example the ones at the end  with "EM7455" are the Sierra EM7455 WWAN Module.  Once you know the exact part number you can get it from different dealers.

This is just my quick personal opinion on this subject. It is always important to double check the model number of you laptop and the part numbers you are buying. I only recommend this for the technical savvy, otherwise you can always get it to the technical shop for assistance.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

maheshkr9
Serial Port
Views: 2,939
Message 3 of 11

Hi All,

I have a Sierra EM7544 from X260 and tried to install it on my Yoga 260 , after powering on I got the error - unauthorised h/w, system halted.  AFIK this card is compatible with Yoga 260 but for me it's not working. Any sugestion on this please..?

Thanks !

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,930
Message 4 of 11

Hi, maheshkr9

Are you talking about em7445 or em7455 (seems, EM7544 in your post is a typo)? Also, what are the BIOS versions in both laptops?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

maheshkr9
Serial Port
Views: 2,928
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

I have Em7455, x260 bios i don't remember as machine is sold. In Yoga 260 the bios is : BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N1GET72W (1.51 ), 11/8/2016
Can I use this card somehow?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,920
Message 6 of 11

This modem with Lenovo FRU should work in the Yoga 260 as it's whitelisted in the BIOS.

Did you disable built-in laptop battery in the BIOS Setup for wwan modem installation?
What IDs values (2x4 symbols via slash) are shown on the screen with error 1802? Are you able to enter the BIOS Setup immedeately after laptop cold start? If yes, load BIOS default settings and save thm.

If the action above is impoosible, perform the BIOS/EC reset:
disable the battery, unplug the AC cable, press and hold the power button for 20...30 seconds. Then turn on the laptop and load BIOS default settings. I hope that'll resolve issue.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

maheshkr9
Serial Port
Views: 2,912
Message 7 of 11

Thanks x220forme, it worked for me. Kudos
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,903
Message 8 of 11

I'm glad to see your success.

Could you, please, answer for two my questions above? Also, what action has helped exactly?

maheshkr9
Serial Port
Views: 2,889
Message 9 of 11

Hi,

BIOS/EC reset worked for me.

Also I have purchased set of antennas from Aliexpress.com and connected them with WWAN card and just left them around RAM with the help of white tape to avoid any contact with MB. Now i m getting 4G signals and connection working fine.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,872
Message 10 of 11

Just because the Sierra part number is the same, it doesn't mean it's the same card.  Different laptop makers get different OEM firmware that, among other things, affects FCC certification in a particular machine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors