Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starlight5
SCSI Port
Views: 1,108
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad Yoga 370 battery on 260?

Assuming both are genuine Lenovo. All dimensions except height (which noone bothered to measure) - are the same; even if the 370 battery is slightly higher and won't fit without lower case modification - it's nothing a rotary tool can't fix.

370 battery: 15.28V 51Wh (FRU 01AV433)

260 battery: 15.2V 44Wh (FRU 00HW027)

Is there any particular reason why it definitely won't work? I'm really on the verge of ordering one and trying for myself, but I'm not sure how does embedded controller (EC) determine if the battery plugged is correct,  and not really want to waste time if the idea is doomed to failure because some technical quirk I am not aware of - hence the question. 

Why: while 370 is newer, it has glossy PWM display which ain't bonded with digitizer vs bonded matte PWM-free on 260. 260's weakest spot, on the other hand, is poor battery life - larger 370 battery could definitely resolve this problem. I'm bored until newer Thinkpads are introduced at CES 2018 anyway - so why not give it a try, if there is any chance it may work.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,053
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 370 battery on 260?

I don't know if it will fit, but using a rotary tool on the lower case to allow a thicker battery is something I would hesitate to do.  You would be eliminating some air space that might really be needed to avoid overheating.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Starlight5
SCSI Port
Views: 1,038
Message 3 of 7

@richk thank you. Given the fact that height difference between 260 and 370 is mere 0.4mm and they are very similarly shaped, I would expect that it to fit without any case mods. I requested information about battery height from the person who provided all other measurements regardless.

What really bothers me is how will motherboard treat battery of different model...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,026
Message 4 of 7

Certainly, it is your machine and you can do what you want, but 0.4 mm is not zero,  If the case didn't close all the way leaving a 0.4mm gap, you would likely complain about the build quality.  If the case had to flex by 0.4mm, straining something that souldn't be strained, it could cause problems.  The same applies to an air gap being reduced by 0.4mm.  0.4mm is about the thread pitch on one of the 2mm screws used in assembly, and is greater than the tolerances used in the design and engineering of the machine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Starlight5
SCSI Port
Views: 1,016
Message 5 of 7

@richk it turns out that despite noticeable difference in capacity, batteries have absolutely the same shape and dimensions, height included. Thus, no case modding required.

martenj
Paper Tape
Views: 888
Message 6 of 7

@Starlight5

did you ordered a 370 battery and installed it successfully in your yoga 260? My 260 battery is broken and I soon have to order a new one, so I am particularly  interested if this would work somehow.

Best.

marten

Starlight5
SCSI Port
Views: 826
Message 7 of 7

@martenj

No, I didn't order it yet. Waiting for new laptops to be introduced at CES 2018, namely a quad-core successor of TPY 260/370 - if I like something there, buying and outfitting a new laptop will be top priority.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors