Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff1915
Paper Tape
Views: 962
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad Yoga 460 (Best Buy) - Thinkpad Pro Pen doesn't work or charge

I just bought a Thinkpad Yoga from Best Buy and upon opening, found that the pen pro included does not work. I'm on the most updated version of all the drivers, and the touch screen and multitouch with my hands still work. After taking an multimeter to measure the voltage of the pen, I found that the pen just wasn't charging. I'm a bit hesitant to check the voltage of the charging silo itself but my suspicion is that the pen is dead.

Could this be a software problem? Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Should I return to pen and the laptop to bestbuy or just the pen? Or should this issue be brought to Lenovo instead?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 955
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 460 (Best Buy) - Thinkpad Pro Pen doesn't work or charge

I don't have a 460, but I do have a 260, which is a smaller, but VERY similar machine.  I had the same problem and I believe it is not the pen.  Before you do anything, you need to unplug the machine and disable the internal battery.  You do that by going into the BIOS and under the config tab, look under power.  There will be an option to disable the battery.  When this is selected, the machine will turn off.  The battery is re-enabled the next time you plug it in.  IF THE BATTERY IS NOT DISCONNECTED, YOU WILL CREATE A SHORT AND BLOW A IRREPLACEABLE FUSE ON THE MOTHERBOARD.  Remove the pen and look inside, where you will see 2 contacts.  My guess is that one or both got pushed back into the housing during manufacturing process.  You can take something fine and sharp like a needle and gently free them so they will pop back out.  Once I popped mine out, the pen charged very quickly and I never had another problem with it.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jeff1915
Paper Tape
Views: 946
Message 3 of 5

I'll try this right now. By inspection, the contacts don't appear to be recessed at all though, they look like they make contact when the pen is inserted. Did it look like that before you moved them?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 940
Message 4 of 5

The contacts on mine are springs that sit away from the holder so that you could nearly pass a 2mm screw down between the springs and the housing.  Before I fixed them, they were flat against the holder with no space behind them

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jeff1915
Paper Tape
Views: 936
Message 5 of 5

Unfortunately, It seems that I don't have the same problem. I can audibly hear springing when the contacts making contact with the pen in the silo and after allowing the pen to sit in the silo for 10 minutes before attempting to use, I still have a nonfunctional pen. :\

Top Kudoed Authors