cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janvik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 801
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad Yoga 460 - Fails after running Lenovo updates?

I just updated one of my users Lenovo Yoga 460, by running all the updates available. After the bios update completed, it went on to windows 10. After doing an additional reboot without running any further updates, it no longer boots at all. screen remains black, but the i in Thinkpad lights up. It never moves on from there.

I have had 5 or 6 occurences of 460 laptops in the company being unable to boot in the last 2 weeks, and getting the same issue with the logo lighting up, but no further response.

So far i have reported them all in as motherboard failure, but this starts me wondering: do any of you notice this same issue within the last few weeks? Running updates from Lenovo system update, and then it stops like that?

If there is a fault with the bios or similar updates, it could be a potential crisis.

Combined with a severe lack of motherboards for that model (for the second time since it was released) in Norway, it is a bad time to get these issues.

On eof the reported laptops was able to boot again after using the reset button, but these others have not.

SalihCicek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 705
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 460 - Fails after running Lenovo updates?

Dear Lenovo,

We have also same problem here. We have 43 laptops of Lenovo and 14 of them are a Thinkpad Yoga 460.

7 of my colleagues have update the system. 7 of them had BIOS problems. When startup the laptop you'll here 

2 times 5 beeps (black screen) 

We have the laptops 13 months so no warranty anymore. But actually this must be warranty because this is a Lenovo update. I want to disable the lenovo system update through the server. Is it possible? If not, how can I disable it on all of the laptops?

janvik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 701
Message 3 of 9

The 2 times 5 beeps issue i have only seen on one of the laptops that have problems after the update. most of them make no sound at all, they just power up the pc, and the screen remains black (but the i in the Lenovo logo lights up).

I suspect this update from lenovo is why we are having a shortage of motherboards for the 460 these days, and have to wait a long time for replacement parts.

We were able to fix one of the ones that do not beep by disconnecting both the battery and the cmos battery. could you try that on one of your beeping laptops to see if that works for those too? would love to hear how that goes, as the user we have with the beeps work too far away for me to get a hands-on test of that solution myself.

This is how you do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PfJ0ZSwuT8

Keeping my fingers crossed Smiley Happy

SalihCicek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 696
Message 4 of 9

Hello janvik,

Thank you for your quick response. I also did what I saw on youtube, but still problems with the BIOS.

I had today one of Lenovo to repair the mainboard. But Lenovo must know about the system update.

It doesn't work well. They must delete the BIOS update because of the problems.

janvik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 694
Message 5 of 9

Did you do all the steps?

You:

removed the power adapter

removed the battery

removed the cmos battery

and held in the power buttom to discharge the remaining power in the motherboard?

And yes, Lenovo should stop this issue/bios update ASAP. I have some contacts that i can use to forward the message, but wether it ends up in the correct hands, i do not know, so getting this information from several sources would increase the chance for this issue to be escalated to a higher level.

This was the last issue Lenovo needed for this horrible product, after we have struggled with other issues previsously, and still do, with the hinges that break, and the wifi driver from early 2016 that make them unstable on wifi.

SalihCicek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 686
Message 6 of 9

I did all of the steps, but it didn't solved the problem.

Do you also know how to disable Lenovo System Update? Is it also possible to do this through a Windows Server?
janvik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 675
Message 7 of 9

Most likely we can disable it using registry settings. Will just have to find the correct ones to adjust. I'll investigate and see what i find

janvik
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 673
Message 8 of 9

OK, found it.

I will be creating a GPO and disabling scheduled check for updates in the enitre organization. Always a bad idea to have automated updates of Bios.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\System Update\Preferences\UserSettings\Scheduler

Change SchedulerAbility to NO

SalihCicek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 671
Message 9 of 9

Thank you janvik Smiley Happy

I will do that immediately

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors