Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mixmixmix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,238
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad Yoga 460 hinges got stuck

After having my yoga 460 for about half a year, using it mainly in normal laptop mode in the office, one hinge got stuck while closing laptop and now allow only for limited movement (I cannot close the lid and cannot open more than slighly over 90deg).

Suppousedly those hinges survive over 30 000 openings. Apparently not. Anyone else had problems with low build quality of recent thinkpads? Is it just Yoga, or P40 as well? I'm considering changing for some more robust laptop.

Guru
Views: 2,205
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 460 hinges got stuck

Hi

I have a Thinkpad Yoga 14 for 1.5 years now and didn't experience that.  But I had seen a couple of pictures on this forums of people with issues in some other models.

What people does on this cases is open a ticket to Lenovo for the machines to be fixed or replaced.

On "http://support.lenovo.com/" there is the "Contact Us" option when you can open a service ticket or get the phone numbers to open one.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Mixmixmix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,137
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

I got hinges replaced. Such a bad quality to giva up a ghost after less than half-a-year of use!

What is worst even is that they damaged my screen in the depo and don't want to admit it...

karinm
What's DOS?
Views: 2,085
Message 4 of 6

I had the same thing happen to my Thinkpad Yoga 15 after a year of use, almost completely in regular office mode, like you. It had been creaking for several months and one day (a very inconvenient day) it froze up and started ripping the side of the screen. The person on the Lenovo help line eventually agreed to have Lenovo fix it as if under warranty (it was 3 weeks out of warranty), but once it arrived at their repair center they wanted to charge me $650 to fix it. Long infuriating story short, they eventually agreed to repair it for free, but I learned in the process that the person on the help line has NO AUTHORITY to do what that guy had done. They apparently do it frequently -- so, beware. My local computer repair place would have done the job for $220.

JP61
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,939
Message 5 of 6

I had the same problem, perhaps worse. I had my Thinkpad 14 months and treated it with kid gloves. In closing the lid from the traditional table tent position, that I usually work from, I felt an unusual resistantence and heard a cracking sound. Keep in mind, I was closing the screen very carefully and slowly.  I immediately noticed the right hinge broke causing the screen to crack. 

Lenovo broken hindge front.JPGLenovo broken hindge back.JPG

the laptop is a few months out of warranty and Lenovo will not honor the warranty.  Considering this common problem, is it unreasonable to expect Lenovo to extent their warranty policy?  I have 5 other Lenovo Thinkpad laptops and will never consider another Yoga.

tella20
What's DOS?
Views: 1,608
Message 6 of 6

Hello JP61

Would you be able to tell me the actual model number of this?

lenovos just released a lot of products over the years with similar names so i cant really tell which one this is

im just looking to buy a laptop and hinge quality is very important to me so it would be much appreciated if you could help

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals