cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blueramcards
Paper Tape
Views: 2,605
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad Yoga - Backspace, Windows, Shift, T, Y, Tab, [, ], Capslock keys not working

I've had my TPY for a little over a year without any issues, but today I lost the ability to use the following keys:

Backspace, Windows, Left-Shift, T, Y, Tab, Capslock, [, ] 

in addition to some of the function keys. Using the onscreen keybaord or an external usb keyboard works just fine. I am unable to use the tab key at the BIOS screen, so it appears to be a hardware issue. This seems to be a common problem for these keys in particular for various Lenovo models and even some Dells. I have tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers as suggested in other posts, and I have tried reseating the keyboard connection according to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxHKvpI8Wvc

I bought this unit from the MS store with only a 1 year warranty (which is now up), so I'm not sure what to do. I can try replacing the keyboard but it appears others have had only limited success with replacement. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

blueramcards
Paper Tape
Views: 2,500
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - Backspace, Windows, Shift, T, Y, Tab, [, ], Capslock keys not working

Update for anyone else who runs into the same problem:

I ordered a replacement keyboard off of eBay and used the online hardware replacement manuals to take apart my TPY and switch out the keyboard. Everything is working like normal again!

trollfred
What's DOS?
Views: 1,400
Message 3 of 5

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - Backspace, Windows, Shift, T, Y, Tab, [, ], Capslock keys not working

Just got replacement keyboard for Carbon X1 with same keys not working. after disconnecting and reconnecting wires several times it seems working. Though I'm not sure for how long, chances are that I will have to order one more replacement keyboard. It will be third time I have to replace new keyboard from lenovo due to malfunction. they seem to not have any QA whatsoever

Valangry
What's DOS?
Views: 1,300
Message 4 of 5

last year I bought a Lenovo note, model t440, at first I loved it, although it was heavy, even so I was satisfied. I was in Canada at the time but I live in Brazil. what happened is that the keyboard simply stopped working correctly so I went to check if anyone else had this same problem. to my surprise many people reported the same problem with backspace, t, y, caps ...  what puzzles me most is how a company knows its products are defective in manufacturing and does nothing to solve, the customer who if you turn around and look for help in forums, change the keyboard, several times as in some cases reported. Lenovo never again.

Katz_pl
What's DOS?
Views: 289
Message 5 of 5

Hi Support,

I have problem with Lenovo Yoga. Backspace, T, Shift and P button doesnt work when Airplane mode is ON.

Bios is updated, also external keyboard and window keyboard does not work.

Please help me find solution.

Best

Katarzyna

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors