Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
serenity72
What's DOS?
Views: 5,813
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad Yoga NFC issues

Hello,

I finally got my new Thinkpad Yoga S1, but there seem to be some issues with the NFC module.

After startup, if I open the device manager it looks fine, but after a few minutes the "NFC proximity device" driver status changes to shows "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Under Details > Problem Code it says "0000002B", and under Details > Problem Status "The Request is not supported/C00000BB". In the System Event Log I am also getting a few "BcmNfcIc driver has failed initializing NFC device." errors at the time it fails.

If I do a right-click > Disable and then right-click > Enable on the device, it works again for a few minutes, but then shows the same error again.

I'm using Windows 8.1, fully updated with Windows update, and all drivers/BIOS updated using the Lenovo tool. The NFC driver is version 1.1.0.3130 from 17/12/2013.

I also had an issue where the Lenovo QuickControl together with "Windows Driver Foundation - User-Mode Driver" background process took up 95% of the CPU time all the time, which I solved by deinstalling QuickControl. I'm thinking the two issues might be related, with the QuickControl trying to unsuccesfully poll the NFC device.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Jan

serenity72
What's DOS?
Views: 5,670
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad Yoga NFC issues

I found out that Windows 8.1 Update 1 has just been released. This seems to have fixed the problem.

After the update I had an error about the Lenovo PM Device, saying that it had corrup registry information. Deleting and re-detecting the PM device fixed the problem, and now everything appears to be working.

terrafly
Serial Port
Views: 5,645
Message 3 of 7

Lost my login, so new account. Looks like I was celebrating early. It appears that the problem is still the same, only that the Device Manager does not show it anymore and always displays the Proximity Device as fully functional.

NFC applications do not complain for a few minutes after resetting the device through disable -> enable, but then at some point start reporting that they can't find a proximity device. Also in the first few minutes while it should be working, if I touch the touchpad with a NFC tag nothing happens.

Has anyone ever successfully used NFC on their S1?

howarthtimber
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,589
Message 4 of 7

Hi there,

I'm afraid I can't assist with the problem, but I can +1 it. I get the exact same issue with my freshly purchase Tablet 2 3679-6KG which comes bundled with Windows 8.1.

I haven't tried installing Update 1 yet as it hasn't yet been approved (causes problems with WSUS).

But the fact that a brand new tablet, out of the box, has a faulty piece of hardware in it is pretty bad to be honest. Fortunately we don't use NFC so I've just disabled the device but come on Lenovo, you're better than this.

Regards,

HT.

terrafly
Serial Port
Views: 5,490
Message 5 of 7

Is it possible to un-mark threads as solved?

It turns out that the problem is far from solved, and actually causes a bunch of other issues. Besides the QuickControl problem it also prevents the Yoga from correctly doing a shut down or restart - the screen goes black, but the red LED stays on and the fan keeps running.

When I force off the system by holding the power button and reboot, the last message in the event log before the reboot is "BcmNfcIc driver has failed initializing NFC device.". And in fact, if I uninstall the "NFC Proximity Device" in the device manager (with option "uninstall driver" ticked), the shut down/reboot issues are gone!

This looks like either a seriously broken driver or a hardware issue. Which is really annoying, I have waited 2 months for the TPY and really do not want to send it in and wait another 2. Maybe it is just a loose cable? Is it difficult to access the trackpad in the TPY?

terrafly
Serial Port
Views: 4,964
Message 6 of 7

For anyone having a similar problem - 

It turned out to be in fact a hardware problem. I decided to give it a go instead of waiting a few weeks for Lenovo to fix it. It is surprisingly serviceable, basically disable the battery in the BIOS, remove 10 screws at the bottom, take off the cover (easy with a credit card), remove 1 screw for the battery, take out and un-plug the battery (wrap a small piece of tape around the battery cables to create a pull tab and not damage the cables/connector).

Then the NFC module is at the lower right of the trackpad area, with one connection to the mainboard and one to the antenna in the trackpad. It appears that the cable that goes to the mainboard was pluged in slighty offset - it had bite marks from the connector, but between the copper tracks not on them. I plugged it in again, making sure that it seats properly, put everything back together and now I have working NFC Smiley Very Happy

I'm just a bit baffled that this could pass QC.

Arioch
What's DOS?
Views: 2,217
Message 7 of 7

Oh, my i am just replacing SSD (in HDD slot)  - Windows 8 is totally dead and i need to save few files - and  found a loose screw there between the SSD and PCB.

Talk about QA....

And Wi-Fi is soooo bad, wit hno chances to repace it due to BIOS whitelisting.

OTOH i wonder where can i get NFC cable, i did not have it, but i managed to get myself the chip :-D

I like the screen and the case, but this fiasco with Wi-Fi  and craze wit hNFC cabes, BIOS jail and everything....
I really like this model, but gueress it would en my first and last LEnovo....

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors