Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klavkonz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,614
Message 11 of 21

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - Touchscreen not working anymore

I have the exact same problem now.  Screen is completely unresponsive to my fingers, but the trackpad and digitizer pen still work fine.  Also, my auto-rotation is not working as well.  I noticed that these problems arose after I hooked up my computer to my TV through the mini-HDMI cable, so I don't know if that was a factor or not.  I've looked through the Device Manager dialogue and there is a list of HID-compliant devices, but none of them state that it's a Touch Screen Driver.  Should this be downloaded from somewhere?

Tech support wants me to send it in for repairs, but I'm very reluctant to send in a machine that I've only had for 1 month.  If anybody has a fix for these problems, it would be greatly appreciated.

mr_sarge
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,601
Message 12 of 21

Finally got my new Yoga yesterday! yeah! everything is fine.  No dead spot on the touch screen.  Il test the pen and hdmi output today just to be sure...

klavkonz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,583
Message 13 of 21

After looking around the interwebs, I've discovered that I don't have some HID drivers installed, namely the "HID-compatible Touchscreen" and "HID Sensor Collective".  Is there any place to download these drivers?  I've already done a system restore and it didn't improve the situation.  And can someone post a complete list of HID drivers that should be installed on the machine when out of the box?  Thanks.

bkwalter
Paper Tape
Views: 3,477
Message 14 of 21

Did you get any help with getting drivers?  I had the same problem with a ThinkPad Yoga purchased May 15 2014.  Lost touch screen.  Was unable to get it back to working by trying all that was available for the user to try.  I called tech service and the person I talked to was lost.  She told me that she could find no drivers for me to download to replace the touch screen drive.( or even a drive at all for the machine screen)  I asked her if i deleted the driver and restarted my machine would that reload the orginial driver.  After she talked to her supervisor she told me that I could try that but if it didn't work, I would have to send the machine back to them for a repair.  I did delete the driver and ever tried to disable it but after trying and rebooting, no help. I even put the macihine back to factory settings and the screen still didn't work. I purchased this uint from a company that has a good return policy.  I sent it back and now I'm trying to decide if I want to try another Thinkpad or purchase a ASUS ZENBOOK UX301LA.  I called technical support on June 16 2014 and asked the rep if there was a problem with these screens.  He said no, not that he knows.  I'm not sure if I'm being told the truth after reading postings on the internet about screen probems.  I'm really disapointed because I had my t61 for years and it's been a great machine and I wanted to keep my Thinkpad Yoga. 

klavkonz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,458
Message 15 of 21

Nope, I'm still dealing with a non-responsive touch screen.  The pen still works and I haven't really had to go into tablet/tent mode recently, so I'm putting up with it for now.  Nonetheless, I still want to find a solution to this problem and I suspect down the line I'll have to send it in for repairs (also to deal with the image retention problem).  I have reset my hard drive countless times and I still can't regain touchscreen capabilities.

bkwalter
Paper Tape
Views: 3,446
Message 16 of 21

I had about 3 images made of my hard drive over the period of adding new software.  Just in case I had a problem after the new software was installed. I tried backing up each image until my only choice was to put the machine back to factory.  I did that too.  It made no difference, touch screen would not work but like you said the pen still worked.  I did have a 45 day return policy from the company I purchased it from, Buydig.com.   I didn’t feel like sending it back Lenovo for service and have a new screen installed.  If my return warranty expired, I would have had no choice but to send it back.  That looks to be the only fix.  I returned it to buydig.com and they received it on June 17 2014, received a credit in my PayPal the same day.  After reading more about the ThinkPad Yoga, I decided to look at a different product.  If I can purchase it from the same company, I will because of the 45 day (no questions asked) return policy.  I’m really disappointed in what happened to my ThinkPad Yoga.  I liked that machine.  I lost confidence in replacing it with the same model.   I might wait a few days to decide what to buy.  My T61 Lenovo has obsolete software/won’t update and is over 8 years old but still hops along.  That’s why I was going to replace it with a new Lenovo Yoga.  I just hope that some of the rumors that Lenovo’s quality control has been slipping are false. 

I will say that I called their technical support twice with the Yoga and was able to talk to someone quickly.  I wasn’t happy they didn’t have any screen driver that I could download.  I had a feeling that software I installed may have corrupted the touch screen driver.  I couldn’t get some help to repair the machine myself but they seemed to do the best they could.  They should have had access to the original driver for me to download and try but the technician said there was none. 

Sorry about such a long post but this has really gotten under my skin.  I spent many hours trying to correct this problem, not counting the many hours getting the machine set up to my personal preferences.  I didn’t want to send it back.  Good luck, 

Haluko
What's DOS?
Views: 2,655
Message 17 of 21

I have the same problem with my thinkpad yoga, Win 8.1. I bought my yoga 1/14 and have been using the micro HDMI cable with Smart TV ever since. I re-installed Win hoping something had become corrupt but I have not been able to fix the problem. All other hardware works well and the HD diagnostics reads everything is fine Smiley Sad Have you found a fix? Thx!
Haluko
What's DOS?
Views: 2,654
Message 18 of 21

I know what you mean. I like everything about my yoga but this touch screen problem is real frustrating. Especially with so many posts and Lenovo tech is not in the forum providing answers.
huangge
Paper Tape
Views: 1,746
Message 19 of 21

same thing happens to my thinkpad x1 yoga. Can not turn on machine. Sent to Lenovo third party support, ends up with brightness adjustment dies, send back again. I buy it one month ago and I am only use it for 10 days. Then there is problem...
Ogami_Itto
Fanfold Paper
Views: 924
Message 20 of 21

It´s 2017, and same history hear. I got my Lenovo Yoga 370 last month. The few times I used the touchscreen initially, it seemed to work fine. I was also using HDMI connector for external monitor.

But soon I realized that the touchscreen would randomly stop working. Sometimes a hard-reset would solve the problem, other times no. When ever the screen was working, "HID touchscreen device" would be appearing in device manager, under HID devices. When touchscreen was not working, "HID touchscreen" would not even appear in the list.

In device manager, when I go to options and choose "show hidden devices" (i.e. those that the system detecs at some point but are currently not connected, like an external bluetooth speeker, or the HID touch in this case), HID touch would appear in grey, and in it´s status box, the message that "the device is not connected".

I assumed that some update must have corrupt the driver or firmware. I uninstalled updates, but no result. I then reinstalled drivers, again, same issue, it worked intermitently. I also upgraded bios, that again, helped temporarily, but soon the touch stopped working again.  I reinstall windows from scratch, and nothing. By the mids of the seconds week the touchscreen never worked again. After win 10 reinstallement, it does not even appear now as hidden devices (i.e. it has never been detected again). When I try to upgrade wacom drivers, it says that my "device does not support this feature".

I wonder if HDMI detection might have corrupted the firmware somehow?

I did noticed that when ever touchscreen will stop worlking, it would be after the system goes to idle, or shutdown. I figured power management might have something to do. But I have tried all solutions I could read of in the web, disconnecting all power management options, disabling them from services, but nothing!

Lenovo technical support could not understand the problem. They tried repeating some of the steps I already tried, by remote, but nothing! For two posible solutions they gave me, I already had tried six! So their staff does not seem very experienced!

Finally they offer me to get my money back and buy a new device. I shall be getting my new device on the 5th of December, but after my search on the web, and finding about how common this old unresolved issue is, I am scared that the new machine might turn problematic too, and display touchscreen problems (after an system update, or connecting my external hdmi monitor, or for what ever reason)!

I have a very old IBM Thinkpad  R51 that is still kicking. That´s why I went for Lenovo Thinkpads ( I love their simple aesthetics , keybords, and suppose robustment). But I´m affraid that Lenovo has not mantain IBM standards!

If new device offer problems, I will just return it and go for some other brand. I can´t believe that Lenovo is dragging this issue for so long, and is uncapable of providing a solution. I guess their quality department is run by the same crooks that run their pricing deprtment, cause compared to what competition offers for similar features, this ultrabooks are really expensive. I paid 1300 Euros for mine (i5-7200U, 8Gb Ram, 256 SSD PCIe-NVMe), and for half that price I could get a device would similar specs!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors