Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajpot
Punch Card
Views: 61,978
Message 11 of 948

Thinkpad Yoga - ghosting / after-image / watermark issue

Admin Note: This thread has been reorganized for escalation purpose -  using ajpot's info for escalation since he was the first to respond to my request of collecting information.

I've got the ghosting issue on my yoga as well.  It was OK for the first few weeks (no noticeable ghosting at all) but now it only takes around a minute of having something on screen for ghosting to appear when switching to something else.

I'm in the process of sending my yoga in for repair as I'm experiencing some other issues, so I've asked them to repair the screen as well.  From what I've read, it's likely they won't be able to fix it (in which case I'll be asking for a refund) but I'll see how it goes.

Machine: ThinKPad Yoga

Machine Type Model: 20CD-CT01WW

Date manufactured: 3rd December 2013

juanseb03
Fanfold Paper
Views: 62,442
Message 1 of 948

Thinkpad Yoga watermark screen issue

I've got a Thinkpad Yoga 20CD-0033US at Fry's Electronics. At almost 3 weeks of my purchase, I noticed using a desktop app that after 5 minutes, the screen starts "memorizing" the images that are static, like the explorer bar and the Start logo. This gets worst if the image has white and is big, because more time the image remains, more bold gets on the screen. I'm not sure if it's a driver problem or is about the build quality of the screen.

I have to add than I'm very disappointed with the build quality of this computer. The one that I'm using is the SECOND ONE!, because the first stopped working at the third day, and this second one has design flaws, like a defective "B" letter and visible spaces between the screen and its housing. Very unacceptable for a $1300 laptop.

If somebody has any software solution for my screen problem I would appreciate it, because I live outside the US and the technical service here in Colombia doesn't answer

(sorry for my English).

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 62,431
Message 2 of 948

Re: Thinkpad Yoga watermark screen issue

This is the ghosting issue. It is a common problem in LG Philips IPS LCD. You could try to get another replacement, but it may get much better.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
think_au
Punch Card
Views: 62,408
Message 3 of 948

Hi lead_org.

I'm experiencing some ghosting too. I see the windows logo and taskbar from the Desktop in the Start screen and I also noticed Google Chrome tabs at the top edge of the screen when at the Start screen. They eventually disappear after a while.

Is it likely to get worse over time or is this as bad as it gets? So far it only seems to affect the edges of the screen, I don't see any ghosting elsewhere so far (touch wood).
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 62,405
Message 4 of 948

It doesn't get better or worse over time. At least that is my experience with the the X220 IPS LCD.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
think_au
Punch Card
Views: 62,403
Message 5 of 948

Many thanks lead_org. I can live with the ghosting if this is as bad as it gets. I understand this issue also affected Retina MacBook displays (the ones with LG displays).

juanseb03
Fanfold Paper
Views: 62,384
Message 6 of 948

Thanks for the answer! Fortunately it disappears when using apps that change images frequently, buy if you work often with desktop apps, in 30 minutes you will see very clear ghost images.

amirvf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 62,344
Message 7 of 948

Hi,

There is no forum specific for Thinkpad Yoga but I write here because Convertible Laptops with Digitizer are welcomed to post here as well.

Any news from Lenovo Decision on fixes in new batches of 12.5' LCD Pannels of thinkpad yoga? The Ghosting Issue is terrible and many users according to Thinkpad Yoga Forum in Notebook Review are suffering from the issue (http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/731068-lenovo-thinkpad-yoga.html).

I also appreciate it if Lenovo dedicate a thread specific to Thinkpad Yoga.

Thanks

Moderator note: thread moved to the Edge board - that's where the TP Yoga lives. Subject edited

Ir13
Punch Card
Views: 62,298
Message 8 of 948

Re: Thinkpad Yoga LCD Ghosting issue

I also would appreciate an official statement from Lenovo.

Ir13
Punch Card
Views: 62,309
Message 9 of 948

I'm also experiencing ghosting. And it's getting definitly worse over time.

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

Top Kudoed Authors