Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rabramov
Punch Card
Views: 13,699
Message 10 of 948

Re: Thinkpad Yoga watermark screen issue

As amirvf mentioned this is a common issue and there is an active discussion about it over at http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/731068-lenovo-thinkpad-yoga.html

Here is a quick recap:

• TPY uses a 12.5" LG Philips panel that has really, REALLY bad case of image retention (ghosting)
  • The ghosting is not permanent and is actually specific to the way LCD panels work and present on all panels, but usually it's so minor that it is not noticeable to the naked eye. In case of those LG Philips panels, however, the effect is VERY noticeable.
  • Lenovo has a page explaining the general issue: http://support.lenovo.com/de_DE/detail.page?DocID=HT051485
  • The easiest way to check for this is via http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html (this is a test that was made for MBPro that had ghosting issues, but it works great for testing TPY too)
  • The same panel is used in Dell XPS 12 and there is a long thread on Dell forums complaining about the issue: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19497269.aspx
  • The problem is inherent to the process/chemistry used in the panels and cannot be solved via software/driver update. (Although some support representatives will direct you to partial solutions that flash different colors and can alleviate the issue but only marginally). To fix this issue panel manufacturer (LG Philips) would have to modify it's tech process and a replacement panel would have to be installed.
  • The bad news are that currently there is no solution (AFAIK). They can swap your panels to your heart's delight, but currently there are not panels available that do not exhibit the issue (You should note, however, that the issue is usually less pronounced on a new panel and is gradually amplified over a course of first several weeks, so if you have on-site support and if you/Lenovo are willing, you could theoretically swap your panels every two weeks or so to approximate a real solution). Also note that the market for 12.5" panels is relatively small and there is no real competition, so there is no strong incentive for LG Philips to fix anything (XPS 12 has been suffering from this for over a year now, even through a model refresh)
  • The good news are that Dell has finally acknowledged the issue and are saying that LG Philips has fixed the panels and new batch is coming around February, plus some people have reported that their newly bought XPS 12 does not exhibit ghosting. So, assuming this is indeed so, new panels should trickle down to TPY owners too sometimes.

I'd love to see an official acknowledgement/response from Mark on this...

TimQ
Punch Card
Views: 13,236
Message 12 of 948

Can confirm this issue as well - at first when I got this this machine in December it seemed fine, but over the course of a few weeks the image retention kicked at the edges of the LCD. Now, though it has spread across the whole

screen -

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t605/Tim_Qi/20140126_134655-Copy_zpsf6421eeb.jpg

Can we get an official response here? Dell already recognises this as an issue with their XPS 12, so I'm hoping you guys can too.

Cephai
Punch Card
Views: 13,153
Message 13 of 948

I just wanted to add my voice here. This is a real, widespread issue. The retained images are visible for several minutes. On a dark gray desktop background I can read a website that has been closed 5 min ago (after it had been displayed on the screen for 5 minutes).

I also hope for an official statement, and of course a solution.

luig
Paper Tape
Views: 12,964
Message 14 of 948

Hi,

just adding myself to the list, too. Same issues with watermarking, especially the windows superbar (this is a working machine - the desktop is displayed 90% of the time...) leaves some pretty clear footprint.

Views: 12,895
Message 15 of 948

First time poster and first time Lenovo user.

I'm already disapointed. I've been reading many reviews but none of them mentioned this ghosting issue...

I don't think this thread is solved until Lenovo officialy addresses the ghosting issue and does a product recall...
I just bought my Thinkpad Yoga last week, because of work I haven't had a chance to notice the screen but I bought the TPY for creating illustrations and photo adjustments when on the road.
This is very concerning to me. I have the 1 year warranty. Is there a chance Lenovo will solve this screen ghosting this year?

I think I'm past my refund period....this is a terrible. I thought Lenovo had a good reputation...

ijnuh
SCSI Port
Views: 12,883
Message 16 of 948

This thread shouldn't be marked as 'solved'.

I'd make another thread but it will be pointless.  If Lenovo sees the 'solved' status they may think users are satisfied with no solution.

-------------------

TPY isn't an inexpensive product. IT costs quite a bit. I want a screen that doesn't ghost. 

rabramov
Punch Card
Views: 12,849
Message 17 of 948

Indeed, I have no idea why this got marked as solved. It definitely IS NOT.
Ir13
Punch Card
Views: 12,803
Message 18 of 948

Who else could mark it as solved?
rabramov
Punch Card
Views: 12,790
Message 19 of 948

Admin/moderator, I assume. I surely haven't.
Ir13
Punch Card
Views: 12,781
Message 20 of 948

Does that mean LENOVO marked it as solved?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors