Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

11-04-2014

Australia

28 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad Yoga - screen wear when using the pen

2014-11-04, 23:46 PM

I've been using penabled laptops for about 8 years now and bought a ThinkPad Yoga about 10 month ago.

The pen turned out to be disappointing - it's a lightweight job reminiscent of the pens they include with Samsung Note and like phablets rather tha a proper full size Wacom pen.

Just like other people I was also disappointed by the non removable plastic sheet protector on the screen in place of proper Gorilla glass screen cover.

But well, overall, apart from the awful touchpad, it was a decent laptop and I've been always happy with my previous Thinkpads, so I kept it.

Now, I'm using the pen a lot, incliding for scrolling. It turned out that the nib is not replaceable and that the plastic sheet protector on the screen is not hard enough to resist wear from the included pen - after 10 month of use it's pretty badly worn, especially in the scrolling area on the right.

I've never had this issue with my previous penabled tablets, even after 3-4 years of use, so I must say I'm rather disapponted at Lenovo selling this as a penabled laptop when the screen could not stand up to daily use with the included pen.

Does anyone else have this issue? Should I send it back to Lenovo to get the protective layer replaced while it's still under warranty?

Options

116 Posts

02-06-2011

United States of America

112 Signins

739 Page Views

• Views: 739
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - screen wear when using the pen

2015-01-10, 2:21 AM
Have you tried removing the factory screen protector? I pried the edge of mine up with a razor blade to see if it was movable... but then decided not to continue. I need to eventually do it, though, because it is scratched.
Options

76 Posts

06-10-2014

Singapore

182 Signins

1109 Page Views

• Views: 1109
  • Message 3 of 9

2015-01-10, 4:51 AM

I am facing the exact same problem too. The screen is pretty worn out after just a few months of use.

Options

13 Posts

11-04-2014

Australia

28 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2015-01-11, 23:35 PM
I thought about removing the plastic screen protector. It is not designed to be consumer removable and in the end I decided not to do it, which was a good thing (as it would have voided the warranty).

The display developed a line of missing pixels a while ago, and I had a rather lukewarm experience with Lenovo warranty support, but got the screen replaced in the end.

My warranty experience is covered elsewhere in this forum.

The new screen has the same awful plastic protector, there doesn't appear to have been any improvement to the hardness of the plastic. I switched to using a proper Wacom pen, with felt nibs. This helps a lot, but the screen still gets scratched, albeit at a much slower pace than when using the included stylus with a non removable plastic nib.

All in all it appears that the penabled functionality was added to this tablet as an afterthought. This is the worst penabled tablet I've ever had and I will be staying away from Lenovo products in the future.

If Lenovo had any decency to correct their design screw-up, they would have been offering a free of charge RTB screen protector replacement service for anyone who had the misfortune to buy one of these tablets. But after my warranty repair experience I don't think that after sales customer service is their strong point.

Options

116 Posts

02-06-2011

United States of America

112 Signins

739 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2015-01-12, 2:18 AM
I don't have any warranty left on mine anyway, so I think I am going to do it. I have some scratches on the protector so I want to get rid of them...

I also don't believe this was originally in the plan for this laptop... the video reviews from early versions of this tablet that I found online mention specifically it having a very glossy screen, and that you easily leave fingerprints. so I'm thinking they added this last minute.
Options

13 Posts

11-04-2014

Australia

28 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2015-01-12, 3:02 AM
Fair enough, but another interesting point to consider is what the surface under the plastic layer is like. If the rather inadequate plastic that Lenovo used is supposed to be a "screen protection" layer, it makes you wonder about scratch resistance properties of the actual screen.

Options

116 Posts

02-06-2011

United States of America

112 Signins

739 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2015-01-12, 6:34 AM
It is Gorilla Glass, just like on good SmartPhones. Interestingly, the factory protector thing seems to come only on the models with the Wacom Pen. This review explains it pretty well:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Yoga.htm

I'm mostly confused about why people are saying removing this screen protector thing voids the warranty. I mean, that's the point of a thin plastic layer - to protect the actual screen. And more specifically, there's no way you would really be expected to know this isn't supposed to be removed - it doesn't look any different than a "well installed" screen protector on a phone. OH WAIT, it IS a well installed screen protector. The thing is crying out to be a replaceable item.
Options

45 Posts

05-02-2009

United States

91 Signins

1255 Page Views

• Views: 1255
  • Message 8 of 9

2015-04-13, 23:25 PM

I had this very problem with my Yoga S1 display screen. The anti-glare foil/protector became scratched by the digitizer pen. After reading a bunch of posts about removing this film layer, it looked easy enough, so I decided to JUST DO IT.  My steps:

1. I grabbed a sharp razor blade and started in the corner where the "Lenovo" logo is placed (bottom left). Very gently, I slid the blade edge under the film being careful not to dig, pry, or lift the blade any more than necessary -- just keep is as flat as possible and glide slowly about 1/2" or so making an equilateral triangle shape. The corner of the film will lift up losing its adherence and, in my case, I experienced zero damage. 
  2. I elected to continue sliding the blade along all four edges only 1/8" or so deep - just to make sure that the film was lifted across the entire perimeter. No problems whatsoever - smooth as silk. 
  3. I went back to the starting corner and slid the blade a little further (approx. an inch) so that there would be a triangular section large enough for my fingers to grab without cracking or breaking the film layer. 
  4. I began pulling from that corner slowly and gently making sure that my other hand was resting on the glass as a brace. Note that you should pull level with the screen not upward. I did not use a blow dryer and, as it turned out, it wasn't necessary. 
  5. When I got to the point  where one edge of the film was about at the center of the short width, I started pulling down that side until I reached the opposite corner. 
  6. I then continued pulling lengthwise working from edge to edge, then center, always keeping my other hand pressing lightly on the display screen glass (for leverage). If you want to avoid palm prints, wear a soft glove or put a microfiber cloth under your hand. 
  7. In no time at all, the entire sheet of film was removed in one piece - no cracks, breaks, or other problems. 
  8. There was no glue residue on the glass, so I just took a microfiber cloth and rubbed it to a gorgeous shine. 
  9. I fired up the laptop and was amazed at the extra clarity and color -- and NO SCRATCHES!

Is there additional glare? Yes, of course, but I just tilt the screen to avoid it as I do with all my other devices. 

I started working with the digitizer pen and, thus far, I see no evidence that it will scratch the screen surface which, I have been advised, is gorilla glass. 

This entire process took less than 15 minutes. It has taken me longer than that to write it up! :) 

I would be happy to answer any questions if there are any. Good luck! 

Ken

Options

8968 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77767 Signins

2226805 Page Views

• Views: 2226805
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-02-06, 16:22 PM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms