Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skipgorham
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 43,169
Message 1 of 66

Thinkpad Yoga - trouble with cursor jumping and closing programs

Hope I'm in the right forum for this new model.

I have a brand new Thinkpad Yoga (20CD-CT01WW), running windows 8.1 64-bit, 8g RAM.  Intel Core i7-4600U @ 2.10Ghz / 2.70Ghz
When using any progam in desktop mode (first noticed it on Chrome, then Quicken, but really applies to any use), the cursor will randomly jump across the screen, ususally to the upper right, and then without clicking, will close the window I'm working on, often losing my work. Sometimes I'll get random right-click menus without clicking the mouse buttons.
I am using the track-point primarily, so thinking it might be inadvertent contact with the touchpad, I disabled all touch-pad functionality, but the problem persists.

I ran Norton Internet security, AdAware, and Malwarebytes to look for viruses but didn't find any problems.

Just ran Lenovo update, and downloaded the most recent Ultra-Nav Driver.  Now both touch-pad and track-point are using default settings, but the problem still persists.  

I'm wondering if this a hardware or driver problem, or a windows 8.1 problem?

Please advise.  
(home user... neophite, I know just enough about compters to be dangerous.)

michaellee09
Paper Tape
Views: 42,939
Message 2 of 66

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - trouble with cursor jumping and closing programs

I have the exact same problem and have yet to find a solution. I previously had a lenovo laptop and had nothing but good to say about it. Exactly the opposite for this one.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 42,934
Message 3 of 66

i am also getting this problem on my ThinkPad Yoga, X1 Carbon Gen 2, T440s, etc.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
ShertheLove
Punch Card
Views: 42,929
Message 4 of 66

For what it's worth, I just got a Thinkpad Yoga a couple days ago. I use only the touch pad and I have the track point disabled. I do not have problem.
motorro
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 42,906
Message 5 of 66

Same problem.

I have a Yoga+OneLink dock and noticed the following:

1. Jumping occurs when I start a machine with a laptop lid closed (using external monitor)
  2. If I open the lid and have both monitors turned on no jumping happens.
  3. I've got that jumping once on a login screen and have noticed the "ripples" around the cursor clicks as if I was using touch screen.

Given that I assume it is a touchscreen problem that is being affected with static or something like this.

As a result the "as-a-desktop" way of using it (without opening the lid) is impossible. Besides the machine does not go to sleep in that mode as it thinks that somebody clicks the mouse every minute. As a result it stays awake after automatic wakeup-and-backup to WHS tasks is complete every night.

I think Lenovo should issue a patch to touchscreen driver to turn it off completely along with an LCD when started in closed-lid mode.

Update: another experiment.

I've turned off the laptop monitor using the F7 key while the lid is open to set the desktop monitor the only one. The touchscreen keeps turned on that way BUT touch positions go to your DESKTOP monitor exactly in a same way those ghost-touches looked like. So it seems deffinately to be a problem of some touchscreen false-reading.

skipgorham
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 42,887
Message 6 of 66

I solved my cursor problem..

I went back to the last known good configuration, and discovered that the problem was due to the program "AdAware" on my system... the new version of ad-aware was running too many different background tasks (compared to the old version which I could run and shut-down at will), and it was conflicting with my Norton Anti-Virus (Norton Internet Security, to be exact).  

I dont' know why this would affect the cursor, but all I know is that once I removed the Ad-Aware program the issue went away.  

motorro
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 42,877
Message 7 of 66

I have no adaware. So may be it's a Norton issue then?
skipgorham
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 42,869
Message 8 of 66

possibly..

I found an old post that referred to this issue, and they said it was caused by having conflicting anti-virus software.. it may be a norton issue that's exacerbated by any other anti-virus software working simultaneously, not necessarily just Ad-aware.  (malware bytes, advanced systemcare, etc.)?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 42,865
Message 9 of 66

Hello motorro,

I'm Harry from Norton Support team. Which version of Norton do you use? Did you check this after disabling or uninstalling Norton product?

Thanks!

Harry

motorro
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 42,858
Message 10 of 66

Hi Harry!

Here is a portion of link that opens a check for update page: Norton%20Internet%20Security&VER=21.1.0.18

Can't guess where is an 'about' box there Smiley Happy

Didn't try to uninstall it also.

Best,

Nikolai

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors