Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Akirasun
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad does nothing after attempt to Replace Touch Screen

Hi, I just attempted to replace my touchscreen for the second time, previously replaced the screen however the wrong screen had been delivered, so I had to do install again once the correct scree was delivered, first install went fine, just not a touchscreen display, everything else worked fine.

However during the installation of the correct Full HD Touchscreen i realized I had not shut off the power, so I forced a shut down prior to disconnecting the display ribbon, completed the installation of the new touchscreen, however when i tried to restart laptop nothing happened, and no lights were on, computer does nothing. I reinstalled the old touchscreen display that was known to be working, but still the computer did nothing. 

Tried disconnecting the Battery but with no success, it appears as if a fuse was blown because theres no sign of power, not sure if these have fuses, but thats what is seems like. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260 

Microsoft Windows 

Full HD Touch Screen Display 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 179
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad does nothing after attempt to Replace Touch Screen

Hello and welcome,

By "so I forced a shut down" do you mean you held down to power button to force a shutdown, or did you go to BIOS and disable the battery?

If the latter, it won't power up until the AC charger is connected.  You're probably well past trying that but I had to ask...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Akirasun
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 3 of 4

By "forced a shutdown" I meant i held the power button down until it shutdown, during this period I was only using battery, once i completed the screen replacement and no power was apparent i plugged in the AC adapter and nothing, it was then left to charge overnight but still no change. 

Additionally, one detail i didn't include because it didn't seem to have caused a problem, but may have done something, the reason I realized that I had not shut down the power was that while about to disconnect the metal clip that secures the ribbon for the touchscreen, whe the small metal tool i was using touched the metel clip there was a very small arc, it was similar to what you see with discharge of static electricity, it was very very small, and after that occurred the power and the screen remained on, so i assumed this didn't cause a problem, the power remained on until i did the forced shutdown, thought I should mention just in case that could have done something im not aware of. Thanks. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 142
Message 4 of 4

I have not examined a Yoga 260 MB under magnification, but the screen backlights are usually fused on Thinkpads.  The bad news is that they are surface mounted and the boards are multi-layer, so you need very good equipment to change fuses.  I think a good, quartz preheater and a temperature-controlled rework station would be the minimum.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors