Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pnieuwla
Paper Tape
Views: 1,510
Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad yoga 260

My 2 days old yoga 260 makes a ticking noise in the right hinge always when I open the notebook or move the screen open a little bit. It is irritating and I am concerned about the build quality of the hinge. What to do?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,501
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad yoga 260

My hinges are quiet  and smooth, but they are tight and sturdy so that the screen is stable in any orientation.  I'm sorry, but without hearing or feeling yourem there is no way for me to say if yours are "normal", but it is common for a tight hinge to make a little noise when it begins a motion.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
pnieuwla
Paper Tape
Views: 1,494
Message 3 of 8

Update: the noise is coming from the screen close to the hinge. A component seems to be loose inside. When I press the screen stack together a bit on a particular place the rattling stops.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,486
Message 4 of 8

I suggest not pressing the screen.  Modern multi-layer screens are thin and can get pressure spots.  It it is defective, return it or call support.  Don't break someting that could be called customer-caused damage.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SM05
Punch Card
Views: 1,463
Message 5 of 8

See this earlier thread of mine:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/New-Thinkpad-Yoga-260-rattle/m-p/329250...

I send 2 units back a couple of days after getting them new for the same exact problem. Wow, I was hopping that it was just my bad luck. Seems like it's more of a wide spread defect than I thought. I hope my new unit #3 arriving tomorrow doesn't have that problem.

pnieuwla
Paper Tape
Views: 1,437
Message 6 of 8

yes that' exactly the same problem! watched your video. seems to be a persistant production issue
Higgs
What's DOS?
Views: 1,412
Message 7 of 8

Just returned that machine while you can. Track point cap on mine scratch the screen and after a month of use and bright spots apear.  

My conversation with CSO is mildly interesting,  according to him I damage lcd. He explained I could have press it,  I replied it's a touch screen and I'm not supposed to touch it.

He then claim I might have left something between screen and keyboard while closing the lid. I promptly replied if that's the case lcd would have Crack and he agreed.

Lastly he claim I have left something on it.  That's when I stopped,  there's no end to their excuses.  

They are selling a touch screen laptop that can't be touch,  else it consumer induced damage  (CID). It's a laptop they debut with someone standing on it,  but if you dare to place a phone on top of it,  it's CID.

SM05
Punch Card
Views: 1,389
Message 8 of 8

Updated my original post with this:

"Got unit #3 delivered today. So far so good. Moderate shake causes no audible rattle. Vigorous shake produces very minor creaks coming from the right hinge area. Since the later kind of outside of normal usage pattern I'm totally fine with it as is. Smiley Happy I hope it stays that way while I continue testing the new laptop. Liking it so far though."

If you're within return window and *if* it bothers you, I'd consider exchanging or returning it. HTH.

Top Kudoed Authors