Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

10-20-2013

New Jersey

11 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad yoga 3rd party pen not working

2014-02-26, 21:26 PM

So i bought a thinkpad yoga, and it came today - which I am really happy about. There's a problem though - I bought the computer thinking that I would get a pen with it and an active digitizer. I bought the computer over the phone, and i got a confirmation email saying that the base was a FHD 1080 screen. Since the only two options for the computer are either with partial HD and NO pen or with FHD and a pen, i assumed I was getting a pen or at least a digitizer with the computer.

After all, I paid for it in full. 

The pen did not come with the computer, however i was told that if i bought a thinkpad pen separately, it would still work. I have a digitzer pen already, but it doesn't work on this computer. 

I tried to download the firmware update for the digitizer, which didn't work. I got a notice saying

Current version: ????

New Version:

and then it said that a connection could not be established. I also tried to download the wacom feel driver, but it said that a compatible tablet was not detected. 

Does anyone have any inkling what is going on here? somebody please help!!! I really don't want to have to return the laptop and have to purchase a new one.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad yoga 3rd party pen not working

2014-02-28, 10:59 AM

FHD screen option has both wacom and non-wacom digitiser option. Getting the FHD screen doesn't guarantee that it would have the wacom pen option.

If the ordering page is listing the wacom digitiser option next to the FHD option, then that is what you should get. 

Also which model Pen did you get?

Under the System Manager did you see the pen option, like the one listed below? HID-compliant digitizer and HID-Compliant Pen

ThinkPad Yoga FHD digitiser software.PNG

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

5 Posts

02-28-2014

United States of America

26 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 3 of 11

2014-03-02, 16:19 PM

Could you please show me anywhere where they say its a "Wacom" digitizer?  

I don't see any option to get a 1080p screen without a digitizer (unless you buy 3rd party).

When you say  "FHD screen option has both wacom and non-wacom digitiser option", are you saying:

A: You have a choice between a "Wacom" digitizer or a LESSER quality digitizer,  or

B: You have a choice between a 1080p screen with or without a digitizer.

Thank you.

Options

15 Posts

01-26-2014

Australia

293 Signins

882 Page Views

• Views: 882
  • Message 4 of 11

2014-03-03, 13:33 PM

When I bought my Yoga, on the Australian Lenovo website it explicitly states it as a Wacom digitizer:

http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/

Pretty much every Lenovo machine that carried an active digitizer in the past has been Wacom (apart from a couple times I think they used N-Trig, a comptetitor to Wacom).

What lead_org means is B - the Full HD 1080p screen can be had with or without an active digitizer - if does have one, it is guaranteed to be a Wacom. 

Techinically speaking, a touchscreen is a digitizer (passive rather than active, since it only works on contact with your finger or a capacitive pen as opposed to hover capabilities etc.). The active digitizer panel is a seperate component from the screen.

With lesser quality, there is the possibility that there are some differences between each Wacom digitizer panel - however, they won't have another manufacturer's active digitizer panel in the mix with the same product.

ATM, there are four different active digitizers that can be had - Wacom, N-Trig, Atmel and Synaptics. 

The technology that drives each company's active digitizer is fundamentally different and won't work between different brands of digitizer. (e.g. a Wacom pen won't work with an N-Trig active digitizer panel, and vice-versa.) So you won't find a Yoga that has N-Trig or any other digitizer.

Wacom and N-Trig are the main players - Atmel and Synaptics just aren't on the same level as them yet.

Wacom - common on Lenovo, Fujitsu, Samsung (under the name S-Pen), Toshiba tablet pcs

N-Trig - common on Sony, ASUS Taichi tablet pcs

Atmel - so far on HP products only

Synaptics - Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Sorry if I sound like I'm rambling on - I'll stop it here. You can always do some Google searches and read up about this a bit more. Below is a link that might help.

http://www.howtogeek.com/177376/not-all-tablet-styluses-are-equal-capacitive-wacom-and-bluetooth-explained/

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 5 of 11

2014-03-03, 22:04 PM
What I meant was that the FHD screen option can be ordered with both a Wacom digitiser or non digitiser option.

The active pen digitiser used in thinkpad yoga is Wacom. Have a look at the picture that I have posted, where the name Wacom is mentioned at the end.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

4 Posts

03-02-2014

Ann Arbor, MI

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 6 of 11

2014-03-03, 23:24 PM

Like previously stated the 1080p also comes in a non-digitizer variant, but the only places that I see that one for sale are external websites (amazon, newegg, etc.). When I recently bought my TPY the USA website only has options for the 1366x768 touch screen or the 1080p FHD w/ pen, there was not a third option for a 1080p FHD w/out a pen.

Did you order from Lenovo directly or from another retailer? 

Options

11 Posts

10-20-2013

New Jersey

11 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 7 of 11

2014-03-03, 23:30 PM

i purchased it on the phone with a lenovo representative :( 

Options

2 Posts

03-17-2014

Maryland, United States

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 8 of 11

2014-03-23, 15:38 PM

Just wanted to post here that I had this confusion before buying also, but basically my conclusion was that the Lenovo site must have an error.  I don't know if there's actually a non-HD version of the screen.  The model I bought from Amazon (20CD0033US) does NOT have the digitizer, but does have the 1080p resolution.  That is a commonly available model.  I haven't seen a model from any third party sites that DOESN'T have the 1080p resolution. So I assume that Lenovo's website is in error when it lists the two options, though certainly I could be wrong.  

I straightened out my own mind on this by repeated questions on the newegg site, where they were listing this model with the 1080p resolution.  I kept asking if I the laptop came with: 1. 1080p resolution and a digitizer/pen or 2. lower than 1080p resolution.  They insisted it was 1080p resolution without digitizer, and when I got it (from Amazon) that turned out to be accurate.

Hope this helps. 

Options

3 Posts

11-12-2014

New Caledonia

4 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 9 of 11

2014-11-12, 1:04 AM
Hi, I have the same problem with you. I thought it should be compatible with digitizer pen, but it does' work. So hou did you solve this problem? When I asked customer service, they gave me different answer and obviously there must be some confusion here. They didn't admit it.
Options

15 Posts

01-26-2014

Australia

293 Signins

882 Page Views

• Views: 882
  • Message 10 of 11

2014-11-12, 3:02 AM

To all wondering if you have digitizer functionality in your screen -

Here are the Product Specification Reference PDFs for the ThinkPad tablets and convertibles:

U.S. Version:

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ttcbook.pdf

Western Europe version:

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ttcbook_WE.pdf

Pick the right one for your region (if you aren't in these areas, sorry, but there are no PSREFs for you at the moment)

In both you'll find the ThinkPad Yoga near the bottom of the document.

See if you can find your Yoga's Type-model number in there. It will give the relevant specs for your machine.

Look in the "Pen" column for the answer for your machine. If it says None or No, you don't have a digitizer in your machine - therefore, buying an aftermarket pen will not work.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms