cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 2,080
Message 1 of 11

Touch screen working then stops. Please help!

Hi fellows.

Started a topic a month ago. Got 0 replies... Maybe it went to wrong place.... Please help me to understand a cause of the touch screen behaivour working than stops with no apparent reason.

Here is original question:

My Thinkpad (Yoga 12.5, 20DL WINDOWS 10) touch screen acting strangely. It works, then touch function stops. 

It starts working again when I do: enable/disable HID touchscreen in device manager.  Or close and open lid. (When driver refreshes I guess) Works sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes an hour or more, then stops again.

Power saving option is OFF on this device. Drivers are all updated to the latest through Lenovo driver update process.

Since it is partially fixed by driver enable / disable function, I suspect it is software and not hardware issue, however can not pinpoint it.

It is plugged in (not on battery)

I hope somebody can help.

Thank you.

bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 1,926
Message 2 of 11

Re: Touch screen working then stops. Please help!

2 posts. Straight forward question. Over a month waiting for some kind of answer/help. One of the largest PC producers in the world 0 (ZERO) replies. 

Seems a bit like zombie forum. 

Very dissapointing....

djohns27
Punch Card
Views: 1,911
Message 3 of 11

Apparently there is a widespread rash of issues for Yoga touch-enabled Thinkpads stemming from the Windows 10 Creators update. See, for example, this post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-720-Touchscreen-Not-Functional-Wacom-...

I'm running Windows 7 on my Yoga TP 12 and haven't noticed any problems, with the exception of touch occasionally deactivating after undocking -- in which case I close the lid and reopen to fix.

Might be a worth a call to Lenovo tech support for your particular case since no one else seems to have found a solution and Lenovo/Microsoft haven't worked it out between them.

bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 1,877
Message 4 of 11

djohns27, thank you for the reply. I thought for a moment that this is induced comma forum.

After spending a lot of time researching this unresponcive screen problem. I think I found the root of the problem and a solution.

I believe the problem is with Power Management drivers/options in Windows 10 and HID display.  I disabled "power plan" options under HID display and HID digitizer. That did NOT help.

Then, under HID in device manager there are two USB items that are RELATED to the monitor. I disabled power options in properties and so far I did not loose screen "touch". I believe this is power saving driver bug, but as long as it works it is good enough for me

Hopefully it helps somebody as there no hope from Lenovo tech support.

Believe it or not, when I called about this issue and spent nearly 20 minutes waiting for rep....after he checked that my machine is out of warranty, he hanged up on me. Yes, that wonderful rep just rudely hanged up the phone. (instead offering even paid solution)

dlrude
Fanfold Paper
Views: 859
Message 5 of 11

Thank you bluebeat888 !  Your advice that I quoted below in italics worked for me.

"Then, under HID in device manager there are two USB items that are RELATED to the monitor. I disabled power options in properties and so far I did not loose screen "touch". I believe this is power saving driver bug, but as long as it works it is good enough for me."

Odd thing is that my device manager has four items listed but there seem to really be only two. The addresses of two of them are exactly the same as are the other other two. Appears that I have 2 devices duplicated so it appears as four but I changed all four as you suggested things seem to work fine.

Thanks!

dlrude
Fanfold Paper
Views: 787
Message 6 of 11

Follow up on my 1/14/19 comment; it works for me most of the time but if the lid is closed long enough or if I leave the laptop on for a day or so with the lid closed and open during that period then the touch screen may stop working

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 764
Message 7 of 11

I would look in the event log and see if a device is throwing an error at the time of sleep/resume.  You talk about lis closed "long enough".  How long is that?  If it is something like 15 minutes, I would turn offf "fast startup" in power management.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
dlrude
Fanfold Paper
Views: 755
Message 8 of 11

Seems like "long enough" was many hours say 8-12 of open and close

dlrude
Fanfold Paper
Views: 752
Message 9 of 11

ahh... I checked after my last post and the lid had been closed for a couple of hours and the touch screen is not working. The even log shows two errors in the last two hours from "lupdate" application.
dlrude
Fanfold Paper
Views: 725
Message 10 of 11

UPDATE; I got rid of event error  from "lupdate" app by disabling "lupdate" in the services tab that I see when I start task manager. There are probably other ways to get to "services"

Also had an even error from "PLCoreServices", only way I could get rid of that was to uninstall the Lenovo "Paper Display" app and I tried many other ways to get rid of that error.

However I still found that the touch screen would stop functioning and in some ways I made it worse because at that point it stopped at least once while the lid was open.

I did try turning off "fast startup" in power management and it did not help.

Lastly I changed what happens when the lid is closed from "sleep" to "hibernate" and this has worked very well. I have left the laptop on now for about 14 hours and have opened and closed the lid many times. This has been the most effective solution. It lasted  for the 14 hours and just stopped working as I started typing this - go figure!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors