cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gyokuro
Paper Tape
Views: 1,019
Message 1 of 7

Two-finger scrolling on ThinkPad Yoga touchpad doesn't work in UWP/Metro apps in Windows 10

I have a ThinkPad Yoga S1 with a clean and up-to-date installation of Windows 10 Pro. Synaptics driver version 19.0.17.27 is installed.

Two-finger touchpad scrolling rarely works in several UWP/Metro apps such as Calendar and Groove Music. When I attempt to scroll, a little crosshair appears on the screen and moves up and down instead of moving the page. Every once in a while it actually does scroll, but only at random and immediatey stops working again.

Strangely enough, if the UWP window is in the background behind another window and isn't currently in focus, two-finger scrolling works fine. Non-UWP/Metro applications do not seem to be affected by this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-gyokuro

EDIT: I found a temporary workaround right after I posted this that doesn't fix the issue, but at least makes it less of an annoyance until this is fixed. If you click on the taskbar and then try to scroll in a UWP app, it works fine, and the tiny crosshair doesn't appear either.

Guru
Views: 970
Message 2 of 7

Re: Two-finger scrolling on ThinkPad Yoga touchpad doesn't work in UWP/Metro apps in Windows 10

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Can you please post the UWP/Metro applications you are using and have some issues with the scroll.

I just want to give it a try here.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

gyokuro
Paper Tape
Views: 954
Message 3 of 7

Re: Two-finger scrolling on ThinkPad Yoga touchpad doesn't work in UWP/Metro apps in Windows 10

Thanks for the response.

The problem can be seen by trying to use two fingers to scroll up and down through calendar months in the stock "Calendar" app, for example. You can see the same problem in the "Groove Music" app if you try to use two fingers to scroll through artists in the Artists pane.

If the window doesn't have focus (e.g. it's behind another window, or you click on the taskbar) two-finger scrolling works in the places I've described above.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Guru
Views: 948
Message 4 of 7

Hi

I have a Thinkpad Yoga 14 with an ALPS trackpoint/trackpad (driver 8.216.1616.143).

I tried "Groove Music" app and I can scroll on the artist, albums and songs without issues with the two fingers.

Also "Calendar" works fine scrolling with the two fingers.

Just in case check the mouse settings on the control panel and check the specific options for the "touchpad".

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

gyokuro
Paper Tape
Views: 922
Message 5 of 7

Oddly enough, the problem just solved itself. Windows Update just downloaded and installed version 19.0.17.85 of the Synaptics driver, and now scrolling works perfectly in UWP apps.

gyokuro
Paper Tape
Views: 913
Message 6 of 7

I spoke too soon. That update fixed the bug I described above, but introduced other scrolling problems in UWP apps. I decided to roll back to the 19.0.17.27 driver. I'm having the same problem I described initially again, but at least I have a workaround for it.

I don't like the Lenovo clickpad to begin with, and it makes it worse that their drivers are buggy.

gyokuro
Paper Tape
Views: 857
Message 7 of 7

The latest Synaptics driver from Lenovo is still very buggy with the new Windows apps. Trying to use two-finger scrolling is next to impossible with Edge, Photos, Groove, the "All Apps" section of the Windows start menu, etc. The scrolling behavior is erratic, and often causes clicks on the screen (even with tap-to-click disabled). It has something to do with the way the Synaptics driver passes two-finger scroll actions to the new Universal apps. Two-finger scrolling still works wonderfully in all non-UWP apps such as Chrome, Firefox, File Explorer, etc, etc.

It's a mess. I hope it gets fixed by either Synaptics or Lenovo sometime in the future. I'm willing to help Lenovo debug as much as I can, but without the source for the driver, I can't fix it myself.

In the meantime, I found an open-source application called TwoFingerScroll: https://github.com/awahlig/two-finger-scroll that does the job until Lenovo gets around to fixing this problem. It's not perfect, but at least I can use all the new Windows 10 apps now.

Please let me know what I can do to help Lenovo debug this.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors