cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 199
Message 1 of 6

Volume Buttons have stopped working correctly on S3 Yoga 14 after Win10 or Lenovo update (they mute)

I have been chasing threads trying to find solutions to this.  Found a clue, was directed to the power management driver thread as a possible solution, was told it was not as I was on Windows 10 and was told to start a new thread.  So here it is.

Very frustrating as none of my other brands of laptops have issues wth actual buttons working after an update....however Lenovos do.  Here is the situation that occurred after most likely a Windows 10 update. However I cannot be sure it was not a Lenovo update or a Lenovo update hidden in a windows 10 udpate.  All I know is my volume buttons don't work correctly now.  Some specifics....

Holding the function key and hitting escape toggles the fn behaviour.

However the light on the mute button never goes off although it does mute and Un mute the volume. It also brings up the onscreen volume display which you can touch and change volume crudely.

However while the mute button toggles muting the volume....Although the light stays on....the volume up and down buttons also mute and unmute vs. raising and lowering volume!!!

I saw the comment that in windows 10 these buttons are controlled by windows. However not sure why only lenovo has issues with their functions keys after oem or Windows updates.

Thanks for any help.

BJBBJB

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 191
Message 2 of 6

Re: Volume Buttons have stopped working correctly on S3 Yoga 14 after Win10 or Lenovo update (they m

Can you please provide the "System Model" and "BIOS Version/Date" exactly as they appear in msinfo32.exe?  Thanks!

BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 167
Message 3 of 6

Re: Volume Buttons have stopped working correctly on S3 Yoga 14 after Win10 or Lenovo update (they m

20DM009GUS bios Lenovo JFET44WW(1.2)

If part of the suggestion is to update the bios, please confirm that this issue is fixed in the new bios rev notes. Everything else works great....sometimes a bios update can create....issues Smiley Happy
Thanks,
BJBBJB
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 163
Message 4 of 6

I don't know what the issue is.  The point of my question was to see if BIOS had been updated recently, because as you said, sometimes BIOS update can create issues.  But you haven't updated BIOS in years so that's not the issue here.  Offhand I can't think what other update would cause this.  If you run Reliability Monitor (just type this into the start menu) you can click on each date and look at the informational events, you'll see what software and/or updates were applied on that day.  If you can remember when this problem started happening, you might be able to narrow down the update(s) that made this problem start happening?  Just a thought, I don't have any other idea.

BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 155
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, will do. I just see so many posts about volume buttons not working across the Lenovo lines, it sure seems like something is going on,
I see update related audio driver. Update hotkeys. Use the lenovo dashboard utility whatever it is. I saw someone reinstalled windows which is absurd.

O well, maybe someone else will have found a solution. I see this problem ocurring in 2018 and also going back years.
Thanks,

BJBBJB
BJBBJB
Punch Card
Views: 134
Message 6 of 6

To try to help others with this issue installing the Lenovo September 2018 hotkey update solved this issue.

I did not uninstall anything. I downloaded and ran it.

BJBBJB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors