03-06-2014 10:23 AM
We just recently received some Thinkpad Yoga's and need some direction on how to complete the WDS process...
Here is what we have done so far...
1. Initially we could not boot to the WDS server via PXE boot so we purchased the Lenovo USB Network adapter as this is the only method available for PXE boot.
2. Went into the BIOS and disabled "Secure Boot" and changed Startup to "Both" for UEFI/Legacy Boot
Those first two items allowed us to PXE boot and I was able to view the WDS options. I then created the image and sysprepped it.
3. On the WDS server, we then created a new Windows 8 wim to boot to for the image upload.
4. PXE boot and selected this image which then started the wizard that would walk us through uploading the image.
Here is where the problem starts...
When I get to the screen that has the checkbox to "upload image to WDS..." and then the field where you enter the server name and press "connect" it fails to connect no matter what I use. I have tried..
wack wack server name
wack wack name.domain
wack wack IP address
I read that we may need to inject the Lenovo USB Ethernet adapter drivers into the wim but on our WDS server, in order to do that, we need to use .inf files. I have not found any .inf files for Lenovo adapter (found driver installs, just no .inf versions).
So we are almost there but I don't know how to go any further. Can someone point me to where I can get the .inf files?
Also, is there something else I am missing or has someone executed this process successfully? I have spent far too much time on this and am currently at a loss; any help would be appreciated.
03-06-2014 04:16 PM
Win8 drivers for Lenovo USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter
Run the EXE, it will extract to a folder you choose.
The inf/sys files are in the folder.
03-07-2014 09:48 AM
Thank you for the link. I found that our extraction methods for the drivers was incorrect. After downloading the driver from the link you gave me as well as the USB 3.0 drivers, SCCM for Windows 8.1 Driver package, none of them allow us to get into the boot.wim at all once they are injected via WDS.
Do you have any documentation or any input that can help us complete this process? I fail to believe we are the only ones on the planet that are trying to use WDS to deploy images on the Yoga.
08-19-2014 06:28 AM
Any body get this working? For now I have made a bootable usb that finds my mdt server but I would like to elimintate this to make it more simpler for my team. Anyone ever get PXE boot with the official USB lenovo adapter?
08-19-2014 07:09 AM
We did get this working actually... We were on an earlier BIOS version so that played a role initially. Here is what we did to get this working finally...
1. Updated our BIOS (Current Yoga's should be running a more updated version so this may not be necessary)
2. Go into the BIOS and turn OFF "Secure Boot" and change from "UEFI to Legacy/Both", Save and Exit.
You should be able to PXE boot now.