Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psytech
Paper Tape
Views: 2,565
Message 1 of 8

WDS and Thinkpad Yoga

We just recently received some Thinkpad Yoga's and need some direction on how to complete the WDS process...

Here is what we have done so far...

1. Initially we could not boot to the WDS server via PXE boot so we purchased the Lenovo USB Network adapter as this is the only method available for PXE boot.

2. Went into the BIOS and disabled "Secure Boot" and changed Startup to "Both" for UEFI/Legacy Boot

Those first two items allowed us to PXE boot and I was able to view the WDS options. I then created the image and sysprepped it.

3. On the WDS server, we then created a new Windows 8 wim to boot to for the image upload.

4. PXE boot and selected this image which then started the wizard that would walk us through uploading the image.

Here is where the problem starts...

When I get to the screen that has the checkbox to "upload image to WDS..." and then the field where you enter the server name and press "connect" it fails to connect no matter what I use. I have tried..

Server name

Server name.domain

IP address

wack wack server name

wack wack name.domain

wack wack IP address

I read that we may need to inject the Lenovo USB Ethernet adapter drivers into the wim but on our WDS server, in order to do that, we need to use .inf files. I have not found any .inf files for Lenovo adapter (found driver installs, just no .inf versions).

So we are almost there but I don't know how to go any further. Can someone point me to where I can get the .inf files?

Also, is there something else I am missing or has someone executed this process successfully? I have spent far too much time on this and am currently at a loss; any help would be appreciated.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,526
Message 2 of 8

Re: WDS and Thinkpad Yoga

Win8 drivers for Lenovo USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&DocID=DS032189

Run the EXE, it will extract to a folder you choose.

The inf/sys files are in the folder.

Untitled.jpg

psytech
Paper Tape
Views: 2,501
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the link. I found that our extraction methods for the drivers was incorrect. After downloading the driver from the link you gave me as well as the USB 3.0 drivers, SCCM for Windows 8.1 Driver package, none of them allow us to get into the boot.wim at all once they are injected via WDS.

Do you have any documentation or any input that can help us complete this process? I fail to believe we are the only ones on the planet that are trying to use WDS to deploy images on the Yoga.

silwerandrew
What's DOS?
Views: 2,370
Message 4 of 8

hi

how  progress with wds pxe usb adaptors drivers son yoga did you  find  any working solution

endlezzdrifter
Paper Tape
Views: 1,879
Message 5 of 8

Any body get this working? For now I have made a bootable usb that finds my mdt server but I would like to elimintate this to make it more simpler for my team. Anyone ever get PXE boot with the official USB lenovo adapter? 

psytech
Paper Tape
Views: 1,869
Message 6 of 8

We did get this working actually... We were on an earlier BIOS version so that played a role initially. Here is what we did to get this working finally...

1. Updated our BIOS (Current Yoga's should be running a more updated version so this may not be necessary)

2. Go into the BIOS and turn OFF "Secure Boot" and change from "UEFI to Legacy/Both", Save and Exit.

You should be able to PXE boot now.

endlezzdrifter
Paper Tape
Views: 1,864
Message 7 of 8

Re: WDS and ThinkPad Yoga

Thanks but I do not even have those options in my BIOS for the Yoga Pro 2

psytech
Paper Tape
Views: 1,862
Message 8 of 8

Re: WDS and ThinkPad Yoga

Ah, that is a different model then what we are using. We have the "Thinkpad Yoga" and it sounds like you have the "Ideapad Yoga 2".. which unfortunately I am unfamiliar with.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors