Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fixx
Paper Tape
Views: 98,023
Message 1 of 6

What is Lenovo Modern IM Controller?

And why is it sucking up 100% of my RAM and disk usage? Oddly, not CPU.

I initially thought the culprit was the system and compressed memory, but after it happened a few more times, I noticed that that was only a symptom of the IM Controller. The whole thing is seemingly random. It'll spike when playing a game, or using Skype, but also, on occasion when just browsing the web. So what is this controller? Why is it slowing down my computer? And is it even necessary?

idahomeboy
What's DOS?
Views: 97,035
Message 2 of 6

Re: What is Lenovo Modern IM Controller?

I would also like to know what this Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost.exe is.  Is it required? can it be installed? It's running on a Thinkpad E520 and becomes unresponsive and makes the system lock up several times a day according to Windows 10 reliablility history.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Here is another related post, which has been seen and commented on by Lenovo.

idahomeboy
What's DOS?
Views: 97,034
Message 3 of 6

robmOz
SCSI Port
Views: 95,660
Message 4 of 6

Just a note to help others with this.

I was helping a friend set up their new Ideapad 300 running Windows 10 and found that this Lenovo.Modern.ImController.exe process was using about 75% of CPU continually. It continued to do this for over an hour. After looking into other options found here in the Lenovo forums and in other places on the web - eg. remove files in the c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download (see https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/Lenovo-Modern-ImController-PluginHost-exe-15... - I decided to just do a restart.

After the restart the problem went away... at least for now :-)

Note I just did a shutdown/reboot - I didn't remove any files in the download directory.

iMOLE
SCSI Port
Views: 80,788
Message 5 of 6

so did you found out why and how did you disable it?
bogste
Fanfold Paper
Views: 80,370
Message 6 of 6

The closest topic I found to actually diagnose and solve your problem is this one: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp02_en/thread-id/73625/page/1

Please follow the thread there and maybe help that Lenovo Employee with some feedback.

The reason might be because of what is termed a `memory leak` inside the Audio component.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors