Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpufox
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,041
Message 11 of 69

Re: WiFi on ThinkPad Yoga stops working after a few minutes [Solved]

This process may be responsible for basically bringing down a personal family network, streaming devices, fast R7000 AC router finally choking every few hours after reboot, and my feeling like my favorite toy, the Yoga, because of occasional crawling and inconsisten Ookla Speed tests, might have serious flaw with the Intel 7260 AC.  I hope to confirm a week or two of calm soon.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 11,057
Message 12 of 69

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT081844

Admin edit - I'm marking this post as the official solution.   We'll update it again once the patch is available.

RunSilent23
Punch Card
Views: 10,975
Message 13 of 69

Thanks for posting on this.  As soon as I connected my ThinkPad Yoga to my firm's network, Discovery.exe played havoc with our network, company wireless and VPN.  It also caused my 30MBS wireless home network to dip under 1MBS.  I used my Verizon phone as a mobile hotspot and when I checked on the amount of data used in the period, it was over 16GB and the billing period wasn't even over.  I have never come close to 4GB in any prior period.  Thank goodness I still have a grandfathered unlimited plan.

Fortunately, our IT staff finally determined that it was my laptop causing the issue.  Naturally, it was assumed that a bot was running.  I ran a Norton 360, MS Malicious Software and a Backdoor scan with absolutely no results.  After a search, I found this thread.  I shut down the process and deleted the application and everything started working.

By the way, deleting Discovery.exe also solved another issue I was experiencing with audio.  Anything played through the speakers has a crackling or popping sound.  When I projected the sound to a TV with Miracast/Intel WiDi, the sound would play for about 25 seconds and then stop until I disconnected and reconnected.  When I shut down Discovery.exe, my sound issues went away as well.

Thanks goes to everyone who posted and for Lenovo hosting this forum. 

Kirkjandrews
What's DOS?
Views: 10,965
Message 14 of 69

It all makes sense now. I sent my machine in for a motherboard replacement two weeks ago, and it only worked a week before the WiFI stopped working. If I would have found this last week, I wouldn't have sent it in for another repair.  

I hope the repair center is aware of this issue.

smay69
What's DOS?
Views: 10,935
Message 15 of 69

I was on a plane with my Thinkpad Yoga yesterday and wondering why the battery was quoting a shorter life left than I would expect (especially being in airplane mode).  I looked at the CPU and found this EMC stroage connector service (Discover.exe) using 30% CPU.  I uninstalled right away and CPU is back down to .1% idle - with a very long predicted time left on battery.

Earlier in the day I went to do a google search when I was plugged into a network and google wanted me to verify a captcha to ensure I wasn't a "bot" based on excessive trafic from my computer.  I was puzzled until I read all this here.

I have seen this exact behaviour before with an HP wireless printer driver installing a service to discover printers that runs up the CPU constantly if it can't find what its looking for.

Lenovo should really penalize IOMega for this as this is a MAJOR software bug which seriously affects normal operation and can cause some serious IT headaches in big organizations.

niemann1985
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,925
Message 16 of 69

HI

I am experiencing the same problem with my wifi in my Yoga 2 Pro. (bought last week)

Yesterday some update happened, it took the ultrabook ten minutes to start and the wifi falls out after 5 or 10 minutes.

I did everything from static ip and dns, driver update, driver unistallation etc. etc.
Nothing worked. The whole machine seems to have issues now. Everytime I reboot it something else happens, it takes forever, the antivirus doesn't load, the network area to view settings of the wifiadapter doesn't open, it say the service has temporarily stopped, the resolution and zoom changes.

Using my phone as wifi rooter works by the way. Using my router doesn't. But the router works perfectly for phone, iPad and another laptop. 

THX FOR SUPPORT - spend my whole day trying to solve the problem Smiley Sad

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,913
Message 17 of 69

niemann1985

You're in the wrong forum.  This is about the ThinkPad Yoga.  You have a Yoga Pro 2 which is in Lenovo's IdeaPad line.  The problem we are discussing here does not apply to your system.

Please go here to discuss your problem or check to see if someone had already reported/solved it:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/bd-p/IdeaTabWindows

steve_taylor15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,890
Message 18 of 69

blimey, I have just brought down an entire hotel's internet because of this.  uninstalled the Discovery and then all ok.  I am an IT Consultant so very embarrasing after the grief I gave the hotel manager about his poor internet service!

RunSilent23
Punch Card
Views: 10,879
Message 19 of 69

I know how you feel steve_taylor15.  I had Tier 2 and 3 support staff from our IT consultants, ISP, and SonicWall in and out of office for over a week.  How embarrassing to find out it was from my laptop and I am the IT Liason for our firm.  I agree with other comments that this is unbelievable that it was not caught with QC/QA.

I would hope that Lenovo is going to send a broadcast email to those who have bought and registered the ThinkPad Yoga.  This software needs to stop.  Intentional or not, this program is malicious.

On the positive, my computer feels turbocharged and battery life has drastically improved since I removed Discovery.exe.     

cpufox
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,863
Message 20 of 69

Polite, no. Several, if not most of us, are referring to the ThinkPad Yoga S1.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors