Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
L_Hans
Fanfold Paper
Views: 328
Message 1 of 8

Windows dies when closing notebook

Hi,

since december this year I´m having some trouble with my Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260. Whenever I close and re-open my notebook again one of the two things happen:

- Notebook reboots from scratch (no fast-/energy-saving reboot, full reboot including BIOS/UEFI prompts)

- Screen stays black (the power button on the right side indicates a green gloom)

I havn´t figured out when it powers completely down and when the screen stays black. Unfortunatley the "full poweroff" isn´t a "safe" one. After those I see a "Kernel-Processor-Power" entry in the Windows Event log. As you can image this situation is quite unsatisfactory. I hope somebody has a suggestion to solve this problem.

Some details:

- Windows 10 Pro (pre-installed by Lenovo), Version 1803 (Build 17134.472)

- Occurs with and without power supply

- BIOS: N1GET93W 1.72

- Windows energy settings: Balanced (Windows default)

- Windows control center -> energy -> Action on closing the device/screen: Energy safe mode (battery & AC) + Advanced Settings: Quick start [enabled], List energy saving mode [enabled], Hibernation mode [disabled], lock [enabled]

I havn´t found anything at the BIOS/UEFI accroding to "S-Power-states". I´m running the newest drivers accroding to the Lenovo Vantage software. I tried to translate the menus as good as possible from german to english. I´m looking forward to your suggestions.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 311
Message 2 of 8

Re: Windows dies when closing notebook

Hibernation mode should really be enabled on a laptop, especially if you carry it around in a case to prevent batter drain, data loss and possible damage due to excessive heat.

Sleep mode (writing current state to RAM and powering partially down) is great for short periods of time on a desktop, but hibernation (writing current state to HDD and powering fully off) is the state your laptop should be in when traveling if not powered fully down.

Some things to try

Reset Windows Power Schemes to their defaults settings. 

• powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Enable Hibernation 

• powercfg /h on      (powercfg /h off  to disable)  

Run a Windows Sleep Study to create a sleepstudy.html report that may point to possible problems entering sleep..

• powercfg /sleepstudy  

Good luck,

L_Hans
Fanfold Paper
Views: 287
Message 3 of 8

Hi JDGillis,

thanks for the fast reply. I´ve tried your recommendations but the problem stays the same. I´ve closed my notebook, waited for 2 min, reopened it and the screen stays black. Also the rest of the device (except the green power button) seems off/sleeping.

Here is the link to the sleepstudy report (Microsoft OneDrive): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkEcXj0jpCMFiH2OtkwYRnwv44iZ

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 277
Message 4 of 8

The sleepstudy report indicates that your system is basically blue screening when it goes to sleep, which explains why it must boot up from scratch upon resuming.

The Bugcheck being logged is 0x9F or DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time (usually 10 minutes)).   Unfortunately the Sleepstudy does not report what driver is at fault.

Video and network drivers are the main culprits I see causing these errors, but it sounds like you have already updated all your systems device drivers to the drivers to the latest.

If you are lucky, the Bugcheck caused Windows to write a Memory Dump file C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP which if zipped up  (compressed) you can post it online for review, and hopefully with that information the offending driver can be identified.

Best of luck,

L_Hans
Fanfold Paper
Views: 272
Message 5 of 8

I found a major Dumpfile (~700MB) and 5 Minidump files. I tried to analyse them with the Nirsoft "Bluescreen Viewer" but I couldn´t make much sense out of it. I uploaded the manjor and mini-dumpfiles to my OneDrive and attached a screenshot from the Bluescreen Viewer.

If this approach doesn´t indicate a specific source of error I´d suggest to uninstall the network, video, etc. driver manually and get install the recommended drivers by Windows Update until the problem is fixed. After that i could get the "new ones" from the lenovo website or Lenovo Vantage.

Memory Dump files (Microsoft OneDrive, compressed): https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkEcXj0jpCMFiH7YGqpevI_SOVAY

viewer.jpg

PreetiM
What's DOS?
Views: 267
Message 6 of 8

I had the same issue back in the last month. I searched the solution online and found the one suggested by JDGillis in the first reply. it did work for me. And now it is working properly.

L_Hans
Fanfold Paper
Views: 260
Message 7 of 8

Unfortunately it didn´t solve it on my machine. It´s nice to know that it solved your situation but what use is your comment if I´ve already stated that the first recommended steps didn´t solve the problem? I´m looking forward to the dump-analysis to detect which driver/component is causing the problem.

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 241
Message 8 of 8

It looks like the driver that is causing the problem is vfilter.sys which is a Lightweight Filter Driver from Shrew Soft Inc's VPN software, which from what I can tell has not been updated since 2013, and was not designed for Windows 10.     Because vfilter.sys is a filter driver, it loads early at startup, and it remains loaded even if you do not use the software.   

You can conform that it is is running, or not running, by typing:  fltmc  and pressing Enter from a Command Prompt (Admin), which will list all the filter drivers running on your system.

If you did not install it yourself, it may have been installed as part of another 3rd party application or even as component of malware, but I would suggest that you uninstall it if possible and see if your problem is resolved.    

Memory.DMP details

MODULE_NAME: vfilter

IMAGE_NAME: vfilter.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4d0af841

BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 166b

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_vfilter!unknown_function

Best of luck,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors