cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KensLenovo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,243
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 20FQ will not power off. Ever. Battery lasts less than 1 day not being used.

My X1 Yoga is only about 1.5 years old, but the battery does not even last a day.

According to the power report, in 23 hours it went from 66% (33,600 mWh) to 9% (4660 mWh) after selecting 'Shut down' from the Win 10 menu. But Windows' battery report (powercfg /batteryreport) shows that the X1 Yoga did NOT power off, but went into suspend mode. 

1. I've checked all 'Power' options I could find, and nothing seems to tell it to NOT power off. I even unchecked 'Fast Startup', just in case that was related, but it did not help. Does anyone know how to actually power down this thing?

2. Even in suspend mode, is it reasonable that battery usage drop from 66% to 9% in 23 hours?

Thanks in advance for any help or insights anyone can provide.

KensLenovo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,170
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 20FQ will not power off. Ever. Battery lasts less than 1 day not being used.

Apparently this is a Win 10 issue, not a Lenovo-specific one. I spent a few hours researching 'Suspended' mode vs powering off, and it seems a lot of people cannot get their laptops to simply power off. How ridiculous is that?!

I've tried a bunch of suggested changes, including disabling 'fast startup' in power options, disabling 'allow the computer to turn off the device to save power' for EVERY device listed in Device Manager, making sure my power options are set to power off, etc. NOTHING WORKED.

Very frustrating, but it's probably Microsoft's unsolvable problem, not Lenovo's. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,156
Message 3 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 20FQ will not power off. Ever. Battery lasts less than 1 day not being used.

Usually, turning off fast startup fixes this.  Do you have the latest BIOS?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
KensLenovo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,150
Message 4 of 4

Hi, Rich,

Thank you for your reply. (To answer your question: no, it's highly unlikely I have the latest BIOS. It's 1.08, 2016-01-21. I tend to not update BIOS unless there's a problem I know I have relating to it.)

However, after my test overnight, I can now say that my problem has been fixed. It was caused by the BIOS setting of allowing USB ports to be hot, even after shutting laptop power off. I thought that would be harmless, since I believed the two USB devices attached did not need power when the laptop is off. One is an audio device, but the other was probably the problem: It's a LAN port, but it includes a USB hub. My guess is that USB hub was using up power, even with no devices attached. Well, whatever it was, changing the BIOS setting fixed the problem.

It's worth noting here as well that the powercfg 'batteryreport' report still shows 'SUSPENDED' rather than something like 'POWERED OFF'.  I was using that to help diagnose the issue, but that was misguided, since 'SUSPENDED' appears to be the normal, expected state shown. Oops.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors