cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,005
Message 1 of 10

X380 Yoga, Mouse Jumping, Keyboard issues, and bad audio quality with USB-C Dock

Hi community,

I'm expiring strange issues on some of our X380 Yogas when working with a USB-C Dock (Type 40A0). The cursor starts to freeze for a second, and then jumps, sometimes the keyboard types unwanted letters (I don't know the english word for it, but e.g. I would like to type Thinkpad, and out comes Thinkpaaaaaaaaaaad or Thinnnnnnnnnnkpad), and on a connected USB Headset the audio quality is bad. This happens only with USB devices connected over a USB-C Dock, if directly attached to the Yoga its fine. Also the internal Keyboard and Trackpoint are working fine. There are not always all 3 problems the same time. And usually after a clean boot everything is OK, it happens only after undocking, and docking in again. 

On some computers having that problem, installing the USB-C Dock Firmware update fixed it. But on some others it does not. Anyway installing this Update is a pain, since it cannot be installed unattended.

Maybe any ideas here? I have not contacted Lenovo support yet about this.

Regards, DJ

oi_son
What's DOS?
Views: 913
Message 2 of 10

Re: X380 Yoga, Mouse Jumping, Keyboard issues, and bad audio quality with USB-C Dock

Hi DJ - We also have the same issue with the x380. It usually happens for us in this situation >
1. User undocks from the docking station
2. Docks again
3. Starts using the keyboard to type

I also installed all updates from the Lenovo site by detecting the model. Installing the updates fixed the issue on 1 or 2 devices but about 4 others are still having the issue after the updates.

The only way so far I have been able to stop it is get the users to log off their machine and back on again after they re-dock.

If you find anything please let us know. I couldn't find much online about it.
DJ51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 904
Message 3 of 10

Re: X380 Yoga, Mouse Jumping, Keyboard issues, and bad audio quality with USB-C Dock

Hi oi_son,

yes, you decribe exactly the same symptoms of the issue. If I find something out, I will update this thread.

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 878
Message 4 of 10

I don't have too much experience with the audio quality issues, but I can vouche for the keyboard and mouse skipping issues.

When using the same dock with a T470s or a 370 these problems do not happen. On the X380 with the Thunderbolt 3 dock, these issues do not happen.

Probably needs a driver update, or there's something specific with the USB controller on the X380.

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 723
Message 5 of 10

I have an update for this.

I wanted to test my hunch that the problem is actually the X380 laptop since other laptop models do not have the same problem with the USB-C dock. But the X380 has only 1 Type-C port, so using a different controlller physically on the laptop isn't possible.

However, I have access to a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock which has it's own USB controller and a Type-C port.

So for a few hours now, I've been running with all my peripherals (2 DP monitors, network, USB mouse and keyboard) connected to the USB-C Dock which is plugged into the Thunderbolt 3 Dock which is plugged into the X380 (USB-C Dock > Thunderbolt 3 Dock > X380).

I've been running in this configuration for a few hours now and I haven't experienced a single issue with the dock.

Could someone from Lenovo please advise? Is there a driver or firmware update required to the X380 to fix this?

oi_son
What's DOS?
Views: 717
Message 6 of 10

Hi Johnny

I also read other posts saying that the other dock worked ok. However we shouldn't have to buy new docks just for those that dont work.

Today I'm going to get on one of the problem laptops and do the Lenovo driver update process with the laptop plugged into the dock to see if that has any extra drivers to install.

I'm thinking maybe the ones that I managed to fix were ones that I updated while plugged into the dock and others that were not fixed were updated off the dock.. I dont know I'm clutching at straws. If that doesnt work I will call Lenovo today.

I've also had word from one of our techs that another large company have the same issue with the x380 so maybe they have reported it to Lenovo and got a fix.

I will report back later today.

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 713
Message 7 of 10

Hi oi_son,

I think you've misunderstood what I successfully tested. This was not about the Thunderbolt 3 Dock working better or suggesting to replace USB-C docks with TB3 Docks, this was about using a non-X380 USB controller to drive the USB-C Dock.

So far my theory has been proven correct. When the USB-C is connected directly to the X380, I get mouse stuttering issues. However when using USB-C Dock through a non-X380 USB controller (in this case, the one that's on the TB3 Dock), the mouse does not stutter.

jonnypoe
Punch Card
Views: 635
Message 8 of 10

I discovered something interesting.

I wanted to test if the skips and freezes appeared during a screen capture. I fired up OBS and started recording. During the recording there wasn't a single skip. The moment I stopped recording, the mouse skipped. I was very confused.

So I started testing other scenarios, including playing a video and then an audio file in the background... no skips. Last thing I tried was running this infinate loop running in a minimized PowerShell window: while ($true) { write-host x380-fix; Start-Sleep -Milliseconds 50 } ... no skips.

What I began to notice is that anytime there was a little bit of constant load on the CPU there was no mouse skips. So this led me to wonder if there was some sort of power management bug.

So into the BIOS, I disabled CPU Power Management and immediately noticed the difference. There are now no mouse skips and window movements seem way more fluid.

I don't know what's going on here, but disabling CPU Power Management in the BIOS at least seems to be a workaround until we can get this squared away. I have an open case with Lenovo and will be relaying my findings.

egda
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 9 of 10

Hi we have exactly the same problem with the USBC Dock.

We still made updates from the Dock Software and Graphic Driver, but no improvement.

Did you already get feedback on your support ticket with Lenovo?

egda
Paper Tape
Views: 208
Message 10 of 10

Did you already get feedback on your support ticket with Lenovo?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors